VERY strange bunny problem!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mybabyjack

Reaction score
Jack died today. He was eating (we think) and hejust randomly fell over, on his back, with his little paws up in theair and he absolutely was not breathing! I shook the cage, but hewouldn't move. Then I covered it because I couldn't I bear to move himon my own. It was most definitely not a "happy bunny flop."
My friend lifted the sheet up to look at him and HE CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!
The little bugger jumped up and walked around!

He continued acting very strange after that. He walked a tiny bit, thenwent and laid down in the corner. I kept a very close watch on him.First it looked like he wanted to sleep because his eyes were only halfopen. Then we noticed that even though he was breathing, it was veryvery very slow. Then I noticed his entire body was shaking slightly.His nose wasn't twitching at all (which I know is a bad sign). Eachtime he looked like he was going to sleep I woke him up so he'd move alittle. He got up, walked around the cage and started acting veryaggressively. He picked up everything around him and threw it. He beganchewing on the bars of the cage and then HIS OWN FOOT!

After I saw that I called the vet and asked if he could be seen. Thisparticular vet has an interest in bunnies so I really wanted her to seehim. They got me in immediately. I took him there and she examined himthoroughly and they think he might have a heart defect. Shesaid his heart rate is really variable-- either reaaaally slow orreally fast. So, she thinks he might have gotten too excited oversomething and passed out. Then had a seizure. Then came back again.Either that or he might have a neurological issue. Which would makesense because a few weeks ago he ran back in forth in his cage, banginghis head on the sides (on purpose), and of course after he passed outhe was gnawing on his foot.

She told me to change his diet because he eats primarilypellets/oatmeal (suggestion of the SPCA), vegetables, and fruits. Shesaid I need to make his diet primarily veggies, and on occassionpellets. She has no idea if that would help anything though. She toldme there isn't a lot they can do for bunnies if they're sick. :(

So basically she said to keep him in the cage and away from Layla (ourgirl bunny, they aren't together yet since Jack isn't fixed), but keepa close eye on him.

He is completely normal now though. Eating, drinking, going to the bathroom.

Someone please tell me, WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED TO MY BUNNY TODAY?? TheDr didn't seem 100% sure, so I was wondering if anyone had somethingsimilar happen.

First, I am sorry that Jack is having problems.

My first suggestion, is to find another Vet!!! Tests have tobe run to find out exactly what is going on....blood work isessential. Many rabbits with heart conditions
have lived, for years, on heart medications....similiar to the ones we take.

I would get a second opionion on the all veggie diet!! Hay is an essential part a rabbits
diet. It provides fiber that aides in proper digestion.

See:

http:/www.wisconsinhrs.org/Care%Guidelines.htm#Vegetables

ohh sweetie girl,im so sorry about your babyjack and what he went through,i myself would be a mess if i saw one ofmy bunnies go through what jack did,i dont know what could be wrongwith him but i would ask my vet if she could do some tests to seeexactly what is wrong with your baby,at least you will have a bit ofcomfort knowing what is going on,and what you can do to help him.

please keep us updated on this,im very concerned for your little boy:(

cheryl

I agree with Dootsmom- find anothervet! There are tests that can be done to determine exactlywhat is wrong, and there are medicines that can be given to help hisheart. They can be treated similar to the way human heartpatients are treated.

Check out these articles:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cardiology/cardio_rabbit.pdf (potentially disturbing pictures)
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cardiology/congestive.pdf
http://news.mc.duke.edu/news/article.php?id=23
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/hearts.shtml

OMG when I read the first post...what a horribleexperience..I so hope that you can find out what it is and treat him sothat he doesn't have to go through that experience again (and you too):(

i would also try to find another vet, get asecond opinion ,and definately get some tests done. im so sorry thatJack is sick! get well soon jack!

:pray::pray:for both of you!:)

how has jack been since you posted about whathappened to him?i really hope you can find out what is wrong with him,ihave been thinking about little jack and how he is.

please keep us updated on this

cheryl

Ya know, when a rabbit is on it's back he could go into a "bed trance."
Maby just an aftermath from it?

Some times, after rigorous excercise could make them some tired theywill fall on their back(Like after having constant roughsex.).

Bun~Bun wrote:
Ya know, when a rabbit is on it's back he could go into a "bed trance."
Maby just an aftermath from it?

Some times, after rigorous excercise could make them so tired they willfall on their back(Like after having constant rough sex.).

Hello! Ya know, I'll admit that I've littlepractical bunny experience, but I've had other pets for many moons, andthe first thing I thought of was neurological - but the *second* thingwas perhaps chemical exposure?

Not only yard or pest sprays and such within the home, but even fromsprays and such from non-organic fruit and veg. These crops are notonly sprayed with pesticides etc., while in the fields, but are oftensprayed with preservatives and fungicides in the store to make themlast longer and look "fresher".

Dunno. Something to think about while you puzzle over this...

But I wish you much GOOD LUCK!!

My lionhead's always trying to roll over (likedogs do). She'll be laying there then all of the sudden she'll rollonto her back and stay there for a few seconds then get back up again.I would go to another vet with his laboured breathing. When youtrance a bunny, their heart rates slow and same with theirbreathing (or it might speed updue to if they are nervousduring it).

Like the other said, I'd look for another vet. There are things to do to help a sick bunny.

Latest posts

Back