Very sick bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trini1000

Reaction score
One of my 2 month olds has gotten very lethargic and sluggish. He was unable to walk and was only rolling over convulsively this morning. He was not eating or drinking.

Now his head leans to one side and now he only lies there barely breathing. I've separated him from the others (who seem quite fine) and I'm at a loss to what caused it.

I'm thinking heat stress or wasp/ant bite could be the cause, anyone with opinions,please help.

First off, I'm really sorry about the loss of your bunny. It's really hard especially when it happens suddenly.

Head tilt can be caused by and ear infection or E. Cuniculi or a bacteria like Pasteurella, Bordetella, Staphlococcus, Listeria monocytogenes. Did he have other symptoms besides head tilt? Did he shake his head or scratch his ears alot?

Here's a good article you might want to look through-when my one bunny had head tilt this was a big help:
http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

Depending on what caused it other bunnies may or may not easily catch it. I'd start off by disinfecting everything the bunny was in, touching or around to be sure the others don't get it.

thanks so much. He had no symptoms like that. He was fine until that morning. He ate and drank normally.

When I discovered him, he was just lying down as if sleeping and when I picked him up he seemed dis coordinated and limp. He kicked up a fuss for a little while and then lay back down. When I separated him he remained motionless and got worse and worse over the course of the hour. He couldnt even lift his head.

I plan to do a full clean of their cage, feeders and drinkers.Whats a good chemical that wont leave harmful residues or irritate other bunnies I have nearby?

So sorry to hear about the loss of your bunny. Some bunnies don't show any illness until it's too late. And they can go as fast as yours did. Especially at that age.

I hear bleach and water mixture will help disinfect.

K:)

I use a mixture of 10 parts water and 1 part bleach to clean cages with. Make sure it's completely dry before putting the rabbits back. There is also a disinfectant called vanodine that you can get through rabbit suppliers online. It's effective and also safe for bunnies.

Get the other rabbits checked out. That bunny that passed could have had EC. It could have been low blood sugar as well. Prince passed away just like yours, but he didn't have EC. EC is contagious to the other bunnies only through the urine when the EC parasite is in the kidneys.

But get the other rabbits checked out, hopefully they don't have whatever the bunny that passed away had.

Prince's blood sugar was low and his temperature was 6 degrees below normal when he passed away. He passed away August 31, 2011.

I hope that you find out what happened to him/her. So sorry he/she passed away.

Latest posts

Back