Very quiet bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky\Bilboa

Reaction score
Hey guys my bun is very quiet today ! He is spending most of the day sleeping . I opened cage doors for him but he won’t come out. He is eating and drinking ok . Is this normal behaviour?

How old is your rabbit ? Rabbits do sleep 8 hours but not all at one time and he will come out of his cage when he's ready so keep the cage door open and it's normal behaviour

If something in his behaviour is off, it is not normal. They hide problems too well, when we notice something that is a valid reason for concern.

In what position does he rest? Stretched, flopped, or loafed up? Does he come running for treats? Are you sure you know how much he eats and drinks? What's his diet, any changes recently?
If I notice something like that I give Simethicone drops (about 20mg) soaked up with a little kitchen oatmeal, just in case digestion goes slow and gas causes pain.

Hey guys my bun is very quiet today ! He is spending most of the day sleeping . I opened cage doors for him but he won’t come out. He is eating and drinking ok . Is this normal behaviour?
He's eating/drinking/pooping fine maybe it's just dark cold day and he wants to stay in?
How long is he with you and how old is he?

He’s is 4 months old . He was just stretched lying there but this morning he’s full of energy! I just got worried because we took him outside the day before to a place we haven’t been before . He’s vaccinated and all. I guess he just wanted to rest

I'm glad your bunny is fine now. I suspect he got very stressed when you took him outside and that can cause a gut slowdown. Most bunnies really hate being taken out of their familiar environment.

I'm glad your bunny is fine now. I suspect he got very stressed when you took him outside and that can cause a gut slowdown. Most bunnies really hate being taken out of their familiar environment.

We take him outside all the time , he’s used to the harness as well. We had some fireworks around and this evening as well and he doesn’t like them at all. I just get worried , as we had hamsters before usually when they get very quiet they die . We really all love him and wouldn’t want anything to happen to him .

Sorry but I think harnesses are a very bad idea for bunnies. They should have lots of space 24/7 so they can properly exercise when they want. There is no benefit to them of being taken out of their home. Keeping bunnies stress-free is really important.

Sorry but I think harnesses are a very bad idea for bunnies. They should have lots of space 24/7 so they can properly exercise when they want. There is no benefit to them of being taken out of their home. Keeping bunnies stress-free is really important.

We live in an apartment and the only way he can be outside is to have a harness otherwise he would never get to go outside. It feels too cruel for me to let him spend all his life inside

I live in an apartment too. It really is not cruel to keep them inside as long as they have plenty of room to exercise. They can't exercise in a harness.

Rabbits can run and exercise in harnesses very well. At least that is the case with our rabbit. He didn't mind the harness at all, acting as if it wasn't there in the first place. Binky, zoom, tornado run-you name it! A harness didn't stand in the way of our rabbit's excersise!

I live in an apartment too. It really is not cruel to keep them inside as long as they have plenty of room to exercise. They can't exercise in a harness.

We cleared this with our vet . He told us how to introduce it to him and we did gradually. The leash on it is very long and it’s not like you can lead him he leads you . The most important this is finding the right harness so injury can be avoided. He’s a happy bunny and if you leave a harness on the floor he brings it over .
I asked a question because he’s usually not quiet but he was very scared when all the fireworks were going off and today because there is no fireworks he’s totally back to himself .
We wouldn’t do anything without a vets approval .

He is free to roam around the apartment during the day and us taking him out is not the only exercise he gets.

Hello fellow bunny lovers. Very interesting to read all the comments on all bunny topics. Regarding a harness, I would love to take our bunny outside (she lives in basement, which is our main entrance to our house, and roams freely) but it was very difficult putting it on her. Plus, I’m worried she would squirm out of it when outside. Any tips on either

Hello fellow bunny lovers. Very interesting to read all the comments on all bunny topics. Regarding a harness, I would love to take our bunny outside (she lives in basement, which is our main entrance to our house, and roams freely) but it was very difficult putting it on her. Plus, I’m worried she would squirm out of it when outside. Any tips on either
If you have a garden, much better to buy or build a large predator proof run or aviary. I have seen many injuries, accidents and stress related illness from harness use with bunnies.

Some bunnys are ok with a harness. I don't think that cute youtube videos of rabbits conquering the earth unencumbered by a leash are close to the average reality though.

I too would appriciate first hand accounts from people who do it, tried it or failed trying it. Albeit, this thread veered somewhat offtopic, so it's quite unlikely we'll get any without starting one on that topic.
Of my currently 7 rabbits only my buck might accept a harness. I bought one for small dogs, but it had two buckles on the rear loop and none on the front - no way to get his ears through this loop. I cut it up and sewed one buckle into the front loop, but never tried it since because he got sore hocks.

We got a harness from our vet . It is specially made for bunnies ! It has Velcro on bottom and it’s very soft , has a safety latch thing as well.
He told us that we leave the harness out and let the bunny sniff it . And than put it on him for a few minutes . At first he took it off straight away. We tried it for a few days and he had it on longer and longer . After he was comfortable in it we attached the leash and tried indoors for about a week. Eventually we wondered out . We take him out most evenings now and he loves it . If you leave the harness out for him he brings it over .

The only thing is it’s not like a dog he controls where he wants to go ! Sometimes he stays in one place for ages and sniffs around other times he runs a lot , it all depends on his mood .

Latest posts

Back