Very Fast Breathing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
I took one of my female Hollands (about 2 years old) inside the house today for a couple hours, and as she was laying on the couch, her nose would twitch so fast that her ears and head would look as though they were vibrating. Her body language didn't show much stress, perhaps a little, but she was calm enough to stretch out. She always does this when I bring her inside.

I wonder what this could be caused by? Should I worry that she could overexert herself?

Heat stress? Or sometimes, just after they run around they'll plop out like this. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just like when a person gets back from a hard run, you have to cool down.

yep, well they actually can only 'sweat' through the pads on their feet. That's why they lie down all sprawled out. And then they pant. I woulnd't worry too much as long as the panting doesn't go on for like a lonng lonng time.

Uh... Rabbits don't have pads on their feet, they just have hair. :expressionless:

They cool themselves partly through their respiration through.

They often pant, I've never been able to figure out why half the time.

sas

The nose wiggle is also an indicator of how interested a rabbit is in what they are looking at. Fast wiggle = isn't this cool! slow wiggle = every cool and normal here

If she only comes into the house a couple hours at a time she may just think it's really cool and looking all around at a new environment. With the relaxed body position she's obviously comfortable, which is good. :)

Latest posts

Back