Very bored rabbit needs activites that are cheep

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh...not another person who thinks a rabbit is "just a rabbit" :shock:.

You wouldn't keep a cat locked in a cage for its entire life, would you? Why let a rabbit? Rabbits are the 3rd most popular house pet next to a dog & cat. Rabbits are amazing creatures and most people only experience that when they stop thinking that a rabbit is "just a rabbit".

I feel very bad for your little girl. She hasn't been able to experience being a real house rabbit - and I feel bad for you because you haven't had the fun experience that a house rabbit can bring :tears2:.

If you love her dearly you clearly wouldn't say It's a rabbit! You should be worried about her happiness. You took responsibility when you got her to take care of her and provide for her. My rabbits will and have always come 1st. I'd rather go with out then to let them. I know were not all perfect and i know I've made mistakes but it really ticks me off when people say It's just a rabbit!

I would go as far as saying a rabbits life sucks if it lives in a cage!! LOL
Many caged rabbits have happy lives but they need big cages!!!!!
I put dwarf in 'no smaller' than a 3 by 3 foot by 2 ft tall cage...the smallest for a dwarf!
The bigger the better and a cage cant be to big!
The rabbit needs to run and jump and stand all the way up!!!
It needs room for stretching out and food and play things!

And even with a lot of caged rabbits at least once a week they all can be given some time in a big play pen set up. Thats what I do for my cage buns and they all get time in the play pen. I made ours out of scrap fencing.. Go to a hardware store and get something so rig a play pen. Be creative!
I managetime for my buns with more than 13 rabbits and a mini farm and kids and a house to care for and homeschooling.

Make a darn play pen for that bun! Let her play while you do homework!

To small of a cage, IMO, is cruel for any animal be it rat or rabbit!!

Its just like factory farming, to little room and that equals and unhappy and some day sickly animal.

Bentley wrote:
bunnybunbunb wrote:
A foot is not all that high, it would be easy to take a piece of thick wood and make a ramp. If you used the cheap compressed chip kind it would be less slidey, too.

It is easy to block things off, not to sound rude but if it is because you do not feel like doing it then shamey on you. If you have no time for her you should seriously think about her and her happiness - can you make time? if so do, if not maybe rehome her? get the family involved with her? ect. You can get wood, wire or NIC grids and block things off, if you are not looking to or unable to spend much use cardboard and replace as chewed. You can get free boxes from most stores/places on stock days. As for door ways baby gates and NIC grids can be used. I have the grids up around my bed because Chiron(dog) would potty under it and it has just been so handy to keep the buns out from under it. I use babygates to block off the rest of the house from my room, the bathroom and my sister's room so the buns can have that space to be free.

We live in a tiny house and make room, sounds like you have plenty of room. If you really wanted to you could probably easily block a place off for her.
uhmm.. if you haven't forgotten, its a RABBIT.

i don't need to be worried about her happiness, cause she is happy. and I'm not going to give her away... she's perfectly fine in her cage, and she doesn't need a whole house to run around in... again its a rabbit.

I love her dearly, and I have nothing against animals, but I'm a person and she's a rabbit. My happiness and satisfactory comes first... and she gets enough love.

Anywho, I've found her new toys. and I've been taking her out more, so yeah. things are back to normal.

No one said she needs the whole house to run around in, just some space where she can get out, stretch her legs, and explore. You've already said that her cage is smaller than you'd prefer, so why would you just make her deal with it rather than giving her exercise time. And toys don't make up for space.

But I'm very glad, and I'm sure other members are too, that you've been taking her out more. But please don't say she's "just a rabbit" and act like you shouldn't care about her happiness and quality of life. We all love our rabbits to pieces here and consider them a part of our family. Sometimes other parts of my life have to take a back seat (such as friends and going out) if I feel like I haven't given my rabbit enough attention or need to tend to her cage. Its just part of being a bunny slave :)

Rabbits are naturally social animals by nature. You need to be concerned about her emotions. Rabbits are prone to getting Depression and stress disorders like trichotillomania and anxiety, binge, all which can be deadly to her health.

I understand the situations of not being able to afford a larger cage. I've been through it with my pets.

People including some of my very own friends think I'm silly and pathetic with how much I love my turtles. "They're just stinky turtles, what do they do? Just sit around and eat?"

I spent nearly all of my money that I got when I worked at a training assesment for disabled people(I cannot work cause of my medical condition) where I got paid, and I bought my poor turtles a larger cage. They have been stuck in a 15 gallon tank for almost 7 years because I could not work - but I made them as comfortable as I could.
That's how much I love my turtles - even if "they're just pets that sit around and eat" lol - they are my babies!

Try getting a part-time job so you can get her a bigger cage. Some cages already come with a customizable ramp or mobile toys. Yes, unfortunatly, cages can be really pricy, but it's worth buying.
It's like a big load off your shoulders and makes you feel so proud of yourself.

You are correct in the fact that it is "just a rabbit".....BUT she is:
"just a rabbit" you chose to bring home,
"just a rabbit" you chose to take responsibility for,
"just a rabbit" you chose to have in your life.
Therefore, she is now:
"just your rabbit" and you have an obligation to care for properly, which means providing her with what she needs for a long happy life, which includes both her physical and mental well being. If you can not/will not do that then you need to find someone who can.

ETA: this is my personal opinion and I am not trying to make you feel bad just try to help you understand the obligation you have to any pet you choose to bring into your home.

Latest posts

Back