Veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunny.Bunny

Reaction score
I have a Holland lop/netherland dwarf bunny who is 2 months old. She's a sweetheart and a little rascal at the same time. I was wondering when some of you started to introduce vegetables (and what kind), and how you introduced them? As well as (from that point on) how much veggies a bunny should consume daily and limits to treats, etc.

As well as how much pellets, too. I have alfalfa meal pellets (I was recommended this and the majority of the internet said this was the way to go). I know that when she starts reaching adulthood, we will need to give her Timothy pellets (if I remember correctly), and limit them to 1/4th cup (maybe I'm wrong but this is the most common answer I got - if I am wrong, please correct me). But as for a young bunny, how much pellets roughly a day? I've heard to give her unlimited, but a few other sites have said that that will lead to obesity and refusing to eat hay.

I probably sound paranoid, but I'm new to all of this, and really want to give my bun the best life possible. Anything you wish you knew when you got your bun, feel free to say.

Thanks, guys. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions!

I wish i had held off on veggies and leafy greens longer. I got my bunny at 8 weeks old and started giving him veggies around 11/12 weeks. Even though i was careful about dosage, my rabbit got really sick and developed really bad gut culture somehow despite trying different types of greens. I think it was too soon and too much especially with a change of home. I think babies need lots of hay and their pellets to be healthy until they are older. I think I've read people wait until 6 months sometimes.
I would suggest getting to know your rabbit, doing lots of research, and letting yojr bunny get super aquainted with your home and schedule before messing with their diet. I wish i had waited longer. I spent 700 dollars over 7 months, had to put my bunny on antibiotics and probiotics because his gut got so confused and upset. And he spent most of his early life ill and lethargic which makes me sad.
He is now on bok choy (the safest and calmest type of leafy green for all rabbits according to my vet) and he is much much better but i do wish i could do it over and save myself the stress and worry it caused.
I still stress over his poop shape because the worry is engrained into my being now :p

So ya i guess research and wait a bit. Get all types of advice and know everything first. Be prepared to try different types and always start with tiny tiny bites!

I will address what I can, given that I'm on my phone and can't give you links easily... Greens can be introduced starting around 12 weeks of age. Introduce one at a time starting with a small amount and working up to a larger amount over the course of three to four days. Monitor poop for changes. If everything stays the same, move on to a new leafy green after a few days.

Go to rabbit.org and look for information on diet for more details. Limit fruit to 1 teaspoon per 2 lb of body weight daily and limit leafy green vegetables to 1 tbsp / 2 lb of body weight daily. For pellets, I recommend no more than twice the adult ration, so in your case a maximum of 1/2 cup daily.

There is no such thing as too many questions, and we hope you stick around and continue to ask any other questions that you have. Welcome to RO!

I will address what I can, given that I'm on my phone and can't give you links easily... Greens can be introduced starting around 12 weeks of age. Introduce one at a time starting with a small amount and working up to a larger amount over the course of three to four days. Monitor poop for changes. If everything stays the same, move on to a new leafy green after a few days.

Go to rabbit.org and look for information on diet for more details. Limit fruit to 1 teaspoon per 2 lb of body weight daily and limit leafy green vegetables to 1 tbsp / 2 lb of body weight daily. For pellets, I recommend no more than twice the adult ration, so in your case a maximum of 1/2 cup daily.

There is no such thing as too many questions, and we hope you stick around and continue to ask any other questions that you have. Welcome to RO!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have just eased my mind. I was worried I was either giving her too little pellets or too much, so thank you for that clarification! [emoji120][emoji120][emoji173][emoji173]

Latest posts

Back