Vegetarian/Vegan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be (vegetarian for 2 years, vegan for one of those)

I'm a backslider ;) I'm dairy-free anyway, and I'm trying to avoid meaton Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm also trying to work myself up tothe whole fasting thing - the next big fast, over Lent, is basicallyseven weeks of a strict vegan diet. So I'm getting there...kinda.

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I'm a vegetarian, but I still do eggs and dairy.

And I'll slaughter the odd clam or scallop (as long as it doesn't look at me). I'm feeling bad about that, though.

I foundmyself saving a fruit fly the other day. Thepoor thing flew into the fridge and I found him on my cheese in themorning, looking dead asa doornail. I rememberedhow some newborn rabbits that get pushed out of the nest get cold andstiff but still can be revived, so I warmed him up and sure enough, offhe flew.

Sometimes I wonder about myself. :foreheadsmack:

m.e. wrote:
Used to be (vegetarian for 2years, vegan for one of those)

I'm a backslider ;) I'm dairy-free anyway, and I'm trying to avoid meaton Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm also trying to work myself up tothe whole fasting thing - the next big fast, over Lent, is basicallyseven weeks of a strict vegan diet. So I'm getting there...kinda.

Another backslider raising her hand. I was a vegetarian for 7and 1/2 years and then one Memorial Day, I got barbecue chickenlust. Something about the comparison of a bland tasteless'loaf' made of white navy beans compared to barbecue.....I wassunk. We still have a lot of meatless days but I refuse toeat the darn navy bean loaf ever again.

Hi,

I have been vegetarian for 14 years and have eaten a vegan diet foralmost two years. I rarely say that I'm vegan however because it isquite provocative sometimes. I think it can make people defensive oftheir own dietry choices and I would never like to be thought of asself righteous or judgemental. It's just easier for me.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about backsliding. If you are inany way uncomfortable about eating meat or dairy products then anychanges to your diet in this way are a contribution to what you beliveand you deserve respect, you don't have to go the whole hog [as itwere] to make a difference.

:Dhurrah for diertry diversity!

alfie and angel wrote:
Hi,

I have been vegetarian for 14 years and have eaten a vegan diet foralmost two years. I rarely say that I'm vegan however because it isquite provocative sometimes. I think it can make people defensive oftheir own dietry choices and I would never like to be thought of asself righteous or judgemental. It's just easier for me.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about backsliding. If you are inany way uncomfortable about eating meat or dairy products then anychanges to your diet in this way are a contribution to what you beliveand you deserve respect, you don't have to go the whole hog [as itwere] to make a difference.

:Dhurrah for diertry diversity!
Good for you!! :elephant: I don't want to callmyself vegan because I still eat cheese. But my lifestyle isalmost vegan. So I call myself vegatarian(vee-guh-tarian). It's difficult to live this way, but it'sso satisfying. My house is almost cruelty-free.:bunnydance: I won't eat any kind of meatwhatsoever. I don't eat gellatin. I don't wear fur,leather or any dead animal skin. I buy products that have NOTbeen tested on animals. Cheese is a tough one because it's soaddicting. I don't know if I can ever kick thecheese. :)

There are gelatins made from seaweed.I believe it's called agar agar. They work verywell. A lot of heatlh food stores carry agar agar or productsmade with this. I am also thinking carageenean may be anotherseaweed tye thickener but Ican't remember. (time to google)

The thing about cheese is that you may not always know the source ofthe rennet used in the cheese. Some comes from cows, somefrom vegatable sources and some is a newer manufactured rennet(synthetic). The food coop where I used to live labeled allthe cheese. I don't know how to tell now where the rennet isfrom.

Cruelty-free products - it might be useful to have some links forcruelty-free products in case people are interested in purchasingthem. It's very hard to eliminate animal by-products (cattlehair in felt tip pens, car fan belts, etc.)but if that issomeone's interest, any little bit helps. Thehardest thing I have found is finding decent looking//feelingnon-leather shoes. Does anyone know a source?

Paul Mitchell hair care products are cruelty-free and available at mosthair dressers. Beauty Without Cruelty and my personalfavorite, The Body Shop. I'll have to look uplinks. There are also a lot internet sites for making yourown cosmetic products (just google mome made cosmetics or somethingsimilar). Most use fruits and vegy's, honey, oatmeal,etc. My favorite 'recipe' duplicates The Body Shops JapaneseWashing Grains. You just need the space to grow JapaneseAdzuki beans in the summer, let them dry in the pod, harvest and grindto a fine consistency in a coffee grinder or food processor - dirtcheap to do and a great scrub. Johnny's Selected Seeds inAlbion Maine has the Adzuki bean seeds and they have a web site andcatalog for mail order.

I'll look up links later and post if anyone wants them.

ARTICLE QUOTED FROM WWW.NOTMILK.COM

GETTING LOST WITH DRUGS

Heroin users "get lost" after injecting chemically processed
poppy juice into their veins. Homer reported that Ulysses
"got lost" during his odyssey after being lured into a
gentle sleep caused by opiates.

When Dorothy laid down in a poppy field in the Wizard of Oz,
she fell into a very deep sleep. She followed a yellow brick
road into a sleepy world of marmalade skies, cellophane
flowers and marshmallow pies.

Opiates are narcotics, and they produce intense feelings of
pleasure followed by a calm drowsy feeling. Opiates are
addictive.

Smokers of opiated hashish gently lose their way into
narcotically-induced dreamlike states (no, not Colorodo or
Vermont).

The most wholesome cow's milk from organically raised
bovines naturally contains a powerful opiate in the morphine
family called casomorphin. Concentrated milk products
(cheese, ice cream, and milk chocolate) contain concentrated
quantities of these addictive narcotics.

Now, you too can "get lost" by consuming America's most
delicious legal opiate, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Hershey Foods is about to launch a new advertising campaign
giving their best-selling bite-sized snack a new slogan:

"Get Lost in a Reese's"

Hersehy's will spend $10 million to promote their chocolate
high to children. Who is their target group? Hershey's
explains:

"Young males are among the biggest eaters of candy, and
Reese's is no exception."

One ad portrays a growling dog that bites a young man in the
leg. The boy feels no pain because he is munching on a
Reese's. A second ad shows a kid whose pants get caught in
an escalator, oblivious to the fact that he is about to be
stripped to his underwear.

What causes the drug-induced chocolate "high?"

Could it be morphine, an opiate? Do chocolate manufacturers
know that their product contains drugs?

Let's examine milk chocolate. The three major ingredients of
milk chocolate are, in order of abundance, sugar, milk, and
chocolate.

Florida researcher, Robert Cade, M.D., has identified a milk
protein, casomorphin, as the probable cause of attention
deficit disorder. Dr. Cade found Beta-casomorphin-7 in high
concentrations in the blood and urine of patients with
either schizophrenia or autism.

Eighty percent of cow's milk protein is casein. After eating
milk chocolate, casein breaks down in the stomach to produce
a peptide opiate, casomorphine.

Visit http://www.notmilk.com/aa.html and find the dairy connection:

"Exorphins appear to produce...lack of awareness of events,
anti-social behavior, and decreased verbal skills. Many of
these behaviors are similar to those noted on chronic heroin
addiction. Studies by Karl Riechelt indicate a very strong
association between certain autistic behaviors and ingestion
of dairy..."

Government statistics suggest that America is home to 64
million nicotine addicts (cigarette smokers), 18 million
alcoholics, 12 million marijuana smokers, and 2.3 million
opiate and cocaine users. Opiates in chocolate have not yet
made their top ten drug list, but make no mistake about it,
folks. Drugs work, and milk is physiologically addictive.
Nature's way is to include chemical messengers that make
nursing pleasurable. That same mechanism is what also makes
weaning so difficult. Most American adults have never been
weaned from the addictive effects of milk.

Get lost with milk chocolate? Hersehy's relies upon addicted
children to generate increased candy sales. So, "Get lost"
with milk chocolate and satisfy a physiological addiction to
casomorphin. Are you a chocolate junkie? Get Lost with
Reeses!

seniorcats wrote:
There are gelatins made from seaweed. I believeit's called agar agar. They work very well. A lotof heatlh food stores carry agar agar or products made withthis. I am also thinking carageenean may be another seaweedtye thickener but Ican't remember. (time to google)
Right on. Gelatin grosses me out.

:vomit:
The thing about cheese is that you may not always know thesource of the rennet used in the cheese. Some comes fromcows, some from vegatable sources and some is a newer manufacturedrennet (synthetic). The food coop where I used to livelabeled all the cheese. I don't know how to tell now wherethe rennet is from.
Cheese is extremely addicting, as the article above states. Ilove it though. I will stop eating it someday. Ican do it! I can do it! :p

Cruelty-free products - it might be useful to have some linksfor cruelty-free products in case people are interested in purchasingthem. It's very hard to eliminate animal by-products (cattlehair in felt tip pens, car fan belts, etc.)but if that issomeone's interest, any little bit helps. Thehardest thing I have found is finding decent looking//feelingnon-leather shoes. Does anyone know a source?
You can find a list of cruelty free products onwww.peta.org. As for makeup,Almay and Revlon do not test on animals. I'll find the directlink. ;)

I believe most products at Bath & Body works haven't been tested on animals as well.

That is an interesting article Lissa. I have agrowing [interest? suspicion?] in the food sources of America, the FDA(any coincidence it is the FOOD AND DRUG administration?) etc.

This gives more fuel to my fire. I have not gone vegetarian yet but I have made some major lifestyle changes lately.

On the suspicion that there is so much profitability in the generalpublic being sick and fat, I have begun to shun most processed foods. Ibuy organic (except when I really cannot afford it) I don't use refinedsugar, I drink only fresh juice, occasional milkand bottledwater, anything in my house with MSG or HFCS has been given away to aneedy single mother, I don't use over the counter or prescriptiondrugs... I don't even believe in my doctor half the time. She's just anoverpaid drug pusher.

But I digress...

My health and mood has changed DRAMATICALLY since I have been moreselective in my diet and begun reading labels. If I cannot pronounceit, I won't eat it.

I have been vegetarian for 12 years, though I still have eggs (as long as they are free range) and dairy.

I too steer clear of gelatine (yuck), don't wear fur or leather and usethings not tested on animals. I don't miss meat at all, especially asin the UK we have a thing called Quorn (relation to the mushroomfamily, I believe) and it has the texture of meat and can be flavouredtoo. The only thing I ever missed was Tuna, but now a health placenearby does vegetarian tuna and fish steaks, so i am quitehappy. I would never preach to people about what they shouldor shouldn't eat, but my hubby turned veggie six years ago, just byseeing what I ate and why.

SAS, had to laugh about the fruit fly. I 'rescue' worms that are on thepath by picking them up and putting them on the grass, and I alwayscatch wasps that are caught inside, and release them outside. I oncespent half an hour in a cafe trapping one in a glass and letting it gooutside, much to the amusement of other people having a coffee:embarrassed:

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
I'rescue' worms that are on the path by picking them up and putting themon the grass, and I always catch wasps that are caught inside, andrelease them outside. I once spent half an hour in a cafe trapping onein a glass and letting it go outside, much to the amusement of otherpeople having a coffee :embarrassed:

Jan
:D

Some vegans don't use bees wax. I find that rather absurd myself.

I was vegetarian... for a week. I just missedmeat too much to stick with it... :D But I tried! really I did! I alsorescue worms from out of puddles, put house-bound spiders outside, andyes, save the occasional fly! ;)

Just out of curiosity, how do you quit beingveg*n? I can't imagine ever going back. It's toomuch ofa spiritual thing to part from for me.

Because I don't believe that eating meat is wrong, or necessarily cruel.

I do think that being a vegan has it'sbenefits, especially for one's health. And a part of me wishes I hadthe self-control to do that again (though I have kept the fast so fartoday, and it feels good :bunnydance:)

But even if I did go back toveganism, I still wouldn't think that eating meat was wrong. I totallyrespect your beliefs and convictions, it's just not something Ishare.

Latest posts

Back