Vegetarian/Vegan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If these weren't beliefs that you shared, why did you choose to be veg*n in the first place. :?

I think some people might choose a veganlifestyle more due to their perception of the health benefits and lessbecause they feel a moral conviction.

Or more specifically, as in my sister's case, the belief that they aredoing something good by making such choices, without finding thatothers are wrong for believing differently.

I think that a person might just be grossed out at the thought ofwearing leather, but not feeling a moral objection to leather itself.

I am just speculating though.

AmberNBuns wrote:
I think some people might choose a vegan lifestyle more dueto their perception of the health benefits and less because they feel amoral conviction.
I never heard of that. I guess I thought being veg*n was abit more spiritual. I guess I can see how it could be ahealth decision too. Hm.

Well Lissa,most of my vegetarian/vegan friends (yes, they're still veg)don't feel that eating meat/dairy/eggs, etc.is wrong. They doit for health reasons, they do it because they have allergies,orthey do it because they just don't like meat. Ethics isusually near the bottom of the list.

I became a vegan because, like I said, Ido believe it's healthier. I had just gotten back from a mission's tripwhere I practically lived on processed meats and cheese. It really mademe feel gross, andI needed a change.

I'll admit thatfor awhile, I didhave some convictions about the ethics of eating meat. I don't feelthat way now (and for the record, I changed my mind about that while Iwas still a vegan; I went back to eating meat for unrelated reasons).

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

BTW - I applaud anybody who can commit to avegan lifestyle... I know that I do not have the will power to do so. Ihave considered it, but I would miss a lot of things - Cheese, yogurt,chicken, eggs, steak... Call me sick, but I enjoy the flavor of beef,and it really helps when I become anemic.

Vegans are incredible examples of self-control and self-awareness. I amsure there are a lot of people who feel that it is right to do, butstillsuccumb to conforming to society and it's standards.

m.e. wrote:
Well Lissa, most of myvegetarian/vegan friends (yes, they're still veg) don't feel thateating meat/dairy/eggs, etc.is wrong. They do it for healthreasons, they do it because they have allergies, orthey do itbecause they just don't like meat. Ethics is usually near the bottom ofthe list.

I became a vegan because, like I said, Ido believe it's healthier. I had just gotten back from a mission's tripwhere I practically lived on processed meats and cheese. It really mademe feel gross, andI needed a change.

I'll admit thatfor awhile, I didhave some convictions about the ethics of eating meat. I don't feelthat way now (and for the record, I changed my mind about that while Iwas still a vegan; I went back to eating meat for unrelated reasons).

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~
Thanks for elaborating. I learn something new everyday. :)

As for thespiritual reasons, I can see where you're coming from. Many Buddhistsdon't eat meat because they feel it is morally wrong to eat anothercreature.

In my church, the Orthodox Church, we"fast" (meaning, we don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, oil, and wine) twice aweek on Wednesdays and Fridays, as well as observe longer periods offasting throughout the year. This is done for the purpose of spiritualdiscipline, denial of self, etc. But not for ethicalreasons.

AmberNBuns wrote:
BTW - I applaud anybody who can commit to a veganlifestyle... I know that I do not have the will power to do so. I haveconsidered it, but I would miss a lot of things - Cheese, yogurt,chicken, eggs, steak... Call me sick, but I enjoy the flavor of beef,and it really helps when I become anemic.

Vegans are incredible examples of self-control and self-awareness. I amsure there are a lot of people who feel that it is right to do, butstillsuccumb to conforming to society and it's standards.
It is a lot of self control. For me, I've been strugglingwith cheese for quite some time now. I can't seem to kickit. I love cheese and it doesn't help that I'm from thecheesehead state. ;) I will stop eating iteventually. But I think I'd have an easier time quittingsmoking.

m.e. wrote:
Well Lissa, most of myvegetarian/vegan friends (yes, they're still veg) don't feel thateating meat/dairy/eggs, etc.is wrong. They do it for healthreasons, they do it because they have allergies, orthey do itbecause they just don't like meat. Ethics is usually near the bottom ofthe list.
I've dabbled a bit with being vegatarian, but it was for a differentset of ethics than normal. Eating lower on the food chainmeans that I have less of an ecological "footprint"- the amount ofspace required to provide for all my needs. In the same way,when I did eat meat it was generally from animals that had smaller"footprints"- chickens, fish, etc. Commercial beef isextremely expensive in terms of the land used to grow all the corn andsuch- they are very inefficient. Even though I never wentcompletely vegetarian, I've often gone a week without meat.I've also found that I feel much more healthy when I eat vegetarianmore often. However, I have trouble getting enough iron evenwith a daily supplement and eating meat and iron-richveggies. Since I'm so prone to anemia, it would be a bad ideafor me to completely cut out meat.

I hope I'm not the only meat-eating rabbit owner out there...My husband and I are both meat eaters..We also have been weight training (seriously) for 20 years now, together! I used to compete in woman's bodybuilding shows (in my 20's) I'm 39 now, and I'd loose too much weight by eliminating meat from my diet. It's just not for me. All your comments are very interesting, and I have respect for all.

I've been vegetarian for about 2 years now. My main reason is moral stuff, just that I don't believe that animals should be raised to be killed. Sure, you can't avoid it completely (i will admit to owning some leather things), but you do what you can.

i am not veg*n but nearly.
and its not totally for moral reasons.
i dont LIKE meat or dairy. so i dont eat it. the only meat i eat is sea food, and chicken every now and then. and the only dairy i have is like ice cream, and dairy in my ranch dressing, tartar sauce, etc.

Thor- your the only meat eater hear- I eat meat too.

I am by no means a vegetarian and know that I could never be that way. I enjoy my meat and dairy way to much and don't seeany thingmorally wrong with this. I however do respect the fact that some people see that it is wrong.

I don't want to start an argument or any thing but why some of you find eating dairy morally wrong? Just curious:)

I don't want to start an argument or any thing but why some of you find eating dairy morally wrong? Just curious:)
I can't say from personal experience, because I do eat dairy, but I have considered not doing so. Personally, I think dairy could be considered morally wrong because of the harsh conditions the animals are kept in. Sure, there exist some places that are ethical to the animals, and treat them very well. But some places, from what I've heard, are just atrocious. Most big businesses are just interested in making a buck, and if that means losing a cow or two, or a few chickens, they'll be willing to do that. I dunno, maybe I should do more research before I make this assessment... maybe its not completely based on fact... but thats what it seems like.

It's kinda like how the working conditions in the 1950s werent so good, and people wanted to fix that. at least, I think it was the 1950s....

loplover wrote:
Thor- your the only meat eater hear- I eat meat too.

I am by no means a vegetarian and know that I could never be that way. I enjoy my meat and dairy way to much and don't seeany thingmorally wrong with this. I however do respect the fact that some people see that it is wrong.

Some peopleare against the way that the animals are treated. And some believe that humans weren't intended to consume any animal products. Some believe both.

Laura wrote:
How do vegetarians get enough protein?

I've considered it before, but I'm not wild about beans or tofu.
Nuts, vegetables, beans, soy...there's lots of stuff out there. I probably don't get enough protein, but it isn't affecting me right now.

By the way, I'm not too crazy about tofu either. In fact, I've never tried it because I'm afraid too. You'd be surprised at how many mock chicken burgers taste just like chicken. It's unreal. Morningstar Farms has an excellent selection of chik burgers. Also, if you find a vegetarian restaurant try the walnut burger. Mmmm.

Latest posts

Back