Vegetable List?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you feeding your rabbit just veggies, or are you also feeding pellets and hay? If your rabbit is getting hay and pellets, then you don't need to worry so much about balancing vitamins, etc. Just make sure the veggies are safe.

golfdiva wrote:
Are you feeding your rabbit just veggies, or are you also feeding pellets and hay? If your rabbit is getting hay and pellets, then you don't need to worry so much about balancing vitamins, etc. Just make sure the veggies are safe.

Well that is what I was saying. I wasn't worried about balancing vitamins, or anything. I am looking for a list of safe veggies. He gets pellets and hay.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion!

I think a lot of the lists are different because different people have had different experiences.

For instance, I've noticed on here that a lot of people feed their rabbits cabbage and broccoli, both of which are complete no-nos in my mind. They cause gas (or can, I guess), which leads to bloat and death. I also won't feed my rabbits potatoes or tomatoes (tomatoes are actually part of the nightshade family). But, I've never had problems giving my rabbits my apple cores (and I've seen a few lists that say no apple seeds).

The best thing to do, is to take a basic list, and work from it. If your rabbit shows any problems the week you introduce a new vegetable (I've never found a fruit that was bad except in too large quantity), put that vegetable on your bad list

Some vegetables that I haven't seen on any bad lists are carrots (including tops), beets (including tops), celery, spinach (in small quanitities), and dandelions.

Absolute no-nos are tomato greens, milkweed, flowers from bulbs, and legumes (beans, etc.). I usually add to the "no" list anything that you're not absolutely sure is safe.

hillrise wrote:
I think a lot of the lists are different because different people have had different experiences.

For instance, I've noticed on here that a lot of people feed their rabbits cabbage and broccoli, both of which are complete no-nos in my mind. They cause gas (or can, I guess), which leads to bloat and death. I also won't feed my rabbits potatoes or tomatoes (tomatoes are actually part of the nightshade family). But, I've never had problems giving my rabbits my apple cores (and I've seen a few lists that say no apple seeds).

The best thing to do, is to take a basic list, and work from it. If your rabbit shows any problems the week you introduce a new vegetable (I've never found a fruit that was bad except in too large quantity), put that vegetable on your bad list

Some vegetables that I haven't seen on any bad lists are carrots (including tops), beets (including tops), celery, spinach (in small quanitities), and dandelions.

Absolute no-nos are tomato greens, milkweed, flowers from bulbs, and legumes (beans, etc.). I usually add to the "no" list anything that you're not absolutely sure is safe.

Thank you!

I to think it's confusing I did find a list of veggies requested by another poster. I just go by that...i guess I find the more you "search" the more confusing it gets on this i guess. I have read people DO feed there bun's dandolines, beet tops (which is on the list that I have) carrots and tops, and oats which on this site that I go off of says NO oat's and grain's . But In moderation it is ok (is what another poster said) I feed my fun timothy hay, kale,cilontro, and carrots. Few peices of banana once or twice a week.

Latest posts

Back