Vega Having Excess Cecals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me why they think Vega is having excess Cecals?

A couple of weeks ago she seemed not to be feeling good, tummy was gurgling alot. I gave her some Ovol, this seemed to help. Since then she has has alot of cecals, boy what a mess she makes with them too smearing them every where.

She's eating well greens, pellets, and lots of hay.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Layla does the same thing, and not from any medicines or tummy gurgles. She seems to smear them everywhere and I even had to scrub some off the walls outside the cage. I think she stepped in them then stood up and put her front paws through for some poo-painting.. blech. Mumford doesn't have any cecals left behind but Layla mashes them into EVERYTHING. I do see her eating some, but she definitely leaves behind more than most rabbits I've had. I can't leave her long term in any area with carpet for that reason. Wish I had some tips for you, but I am in the same boat!

Larry that could be difficult because she lives with Winston so they eat together.

I'm wondering if it's the lettuce (2 - 3 different types) that they get. When Daisy had her UTI the Vet suggested I give lettuce as it is loaded with water, soVega's been getting lettuce daily along with a big variety of other greens too.

Susan:)

Yeah, I'm not sure Susan. I know whenever I notice Toby is leaving excess cecals I cut back on his veggies/fruits. Usually this happens when I'm back at my parents' house, since my Mum loves to spoil him rotten :p

Thing is, Layla only gets a little bit of cilantro every other day.. and I've increased the timothy hay. Maybe some rabbits just are more prone to leaving their cecals behind?

Usually excess cecals (uneaten cecals) are because the rabbit's diet is too rich. Other causes may also be stress or changes in diet. (If any of this applies, this may be the case.)

This measure may or may not be excessive, but I would suggest on cutting back on both veggies and pellets. Feed only hay and water for the time being. Once the appearance of excess cecals stop, slowly reintroduce pellets and veggies; with veggies one-by-one. If cecals appear again, you will know the cause.

Latest posts

Back