Vanilla in water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEE65

Reaction score
Is it true that if you put a few drops of vanilla in the bunnies water that it keeps flies away? How does this work?

Charlie

Yes, how does it work? Do you think that puttingsome of it in a spray bottle and spraying it in the genral vicinitywould assist too? And what about on a bunny's bottom? (I am not tryingto be smart on that one.)

hello, im not sure about that but im sure peopleon here are always happy to help!! anyways it sound like a good ideaand vinllia is lovely i love the smell of it hehe!!!

Theres a small amountof alchohol in vanilla and most essentualcooking flavorings , Flies donot like the alchohol, forone and the smell ofthe vanilla masks the smell of t hepoops that Flies hone inon to build eggs. I havebeen spraying the bottoms ofthe cages w ith vanillawater a lot stronger than Iwould for their water bottels ,and so far its beenworking I have had minimalflies so far. whenthe wether gets reallybad we shall see how goodthis bit expensive plan works, geesh499 for a 2 oz bottle of Vanilla ,

I was wondering tho " Ifyou could use a piece of theVanilla bean or would thatbe toxic? .

I've been using imitation vanilla. It seems to work fine too. I paid $.99 for mine.

I put 1 tsp in a gallon of water.

Jen

Thats what I use too...the imitation...mine areinside and there's not been alot of flies around yet..but I figured I'ddo so to stay ahead of the game, specially with Corky's wounds andstitches, the last thing I need are flies attracted to the bunny room!So far its working well and the LOVE it...its the only way I can getOreo to drink very well!

From the Cheat Sheet...

-(From Buck Jones) I add approximately oneteaspoon of vanilla flavoring extract, real or artificial, to onegallon of drinking water in an effort to reduce fly strike and warblesby reducing the number of flies in and about our rabbits.

The whole idea is to keep the odor down so flies won't be attracted.Putting vanilla in the drinking water i supposed to cut down on theodor of the urine. It's also supposed to prompt the bunnies to drinkmore, so I would think that the urine would be more diluted , too.

Using a good litterlike Woody Pet will also help keep the odor at a minimal

I think there are even foods manufatured to help eliminate odor.

To prevent "fly strike" the flies must be keep from getting to thebunnies. If you have a fly problem, then cleanliness is essential. Keepthe buns and everything around them as clean as possible. Netting andfly strips for outdoor bunnis will help.

Make sure the bunnies are healthy and have no open wounds, too.

~Jim

Don't even tempt him, Mambo.

By the way, all three of you fellers can hit the TSC (Tractor SupplyCompany store) together. There's one within 10 miles of theBoathouse. No need to bring any WoodyPet, Jim. Youcan stock up on it there if need be.

:)

-Carolyn

does anyone know were to get the vanilla sprayfrom!! do you think pet shops would have it or normal shops coz ivetried looking for it in my pet shop and they havent heard of it before!lol!!:)

Either imitation or natural vanilla flavoring works to reduce the number of flies. Have never thought of spraying it around to accomplish the same ends. That seems viable.

I was under the impression it was the odor of the vanilla in the urine that repelled the flies. If it were simply the alcohol, one could just treat the water with the alcohol toaffect the same results.

Wife just read a novel in which an angora keeper used chrysanthemum extract and rosemary oil to repel flies. Novel did not indicate in what manner these substances were used, so I can provide no further information.Might/might not be true.

I've read of many rabbitries that use various "misting" apparatus with great success and the plain old fly strips seem to work well, too.

Buck

Fluffy wrote:
does anyone know were to get the vanilla spray from!! do youthink pet shops would have it or normal shops coz ive tried looking forit in my pet shop and they havent heard of it before! lol!!:)
Iuse vanilla from the grocery store...same stuff that I use when makingcookies...you could put that in some water in a spray bottle and sprayit....I just put a few drops in the water bottles.

Rosemary is a fairly common repellent formisquitos and fleas so it seems like it would work for flies, theydon't like the smell. Cindy

Is this something I should have as part of thebun's domain? I clean out their cages every other day..so nothing isdirty and I dont ever notice any flies in my room...

I really don't either FreddysMom, I do so as anextra precaution....and they like it! ;)Right now I don'twanna take the chance of flies getting ahold of Corkys stitched areas.

Wonderful! I posted about our vet visit lastnite if you haven't seen it... ;) He's got the vetamazed...that much I know!

Thanks a whole bunch. I don't noticeany flys around my bunnies because they are mostly indoorbunnies. But they enjoy being outside in the mornings intheir playpen. So I thought that if the vanilla works to cutdown on their urine odor than I'm all for it. Not that Ireally smell it but I just thought it would be a good idea if itworks. Sooo... I'm going to start doing it. I cleanmy bunnies cage every day and sometimes clean the litter box twice aday. I finally got some woody pet yesterday and will startmixing with the aspen untill the aspen runs out. Then it willbe straight woody pet. I love this forum. I willlet you guys know how woody pet does for my bunnies.

Charlie

Latest posts

Back