Valerie Jane

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluMagic

Reaction score

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/RottieBlu/Valerie.jpg

I finally got Valerie. Now she is known as "VJ", or Valerie Jane. She is another Flemmy and seems to be quite mellow.

However, there is one thing that concerns me...

She has a high arch, almost hunch, in her lowerback/hindquarters. She also seems to hop a little sideways. Birth Defect? Past Injury? Her back doesn't seem to cause her any pain I was just curious. I will try to get videos or more photos up!

:biggrin2:

She's beautiful. I'll have to keep my Xaiver from the computer. He's my young light grey Flemmie. He may try to find her and steal her away!

BluMagic wrote:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/RottieBlu/Valerie.jpg

I finally got Valerie. Now she is known as "VJ", or Valerie Jane. She is another Flemmy and seems to be quite mellow.

However, there is one thing that concerns me...

She has a high arch, almost hunch, in her lowerback/hindquarters. She also seems to hop a little sideways. Birth Defect? Past Injury? Her back doesn't seem to cause her any pain I was just curious. I will try to get videos or more photos up!

:biggrin2:

This post should go to the Rabbitry! I'll move this part there for you! Otherwise, welcome! Glad to have you!

:D

She is very beautiful :DThe best person to speak to is Blue giants as she breeds flemmies.

I know rabbits spines can be damaged quite easily but do not know a flemmies traits very well. hopefully she will be along soon :)

LedaHartwood wrote:
She's beautiful. I'll have to keep my Xaiver from the computer. He's my young light grey Flemmie. He may try to find her and steal her away!
I might just steal her. lol

hard to tell from your pics, but my guys often sit with their feet out to the side. is it like this?
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Hi BluMagic! Congrats on getting your Flemish! Love the name you gave her!

I was trying to see what you are describing about her... can you take a clearer photo of her? I am concerned about the left side being "lazy" and her back leg sticking out. From the one side photo, her arch doesn't look like it should.

Please, can you give me some background on her? Age, where she came from, any info?

Yes, back injuries do happen with the Flemish, as with any rabbit.

As a reference, this is a normal arch on a Flemish Giant.Rise should start just at the back of the shoulders and then be round over the hips and down to the tail.

hermionepose.jpg

I'm concerned about a spinal issue or probelms with the hip joints. How old is she?

She does rest with her back feet spread out. Let me get some more photos. I belive she is about 8 months, maybe a little older. Let me try to find that out as well. I was told she doesn't have any past injuries.

Easiest way to get pictures of a black rabbit is to put them in front of a white or pale background (put a sheet up or something)

I agree though that she is not sitting right compared to Blue Giants picture she has a huge rise to the spine. It would be best to get her to a vets to let them take a look at her:)

It is very hard to evaluate her through a photograph. And a photo of her on a soft bed doesn't allow the spine to arch properly. If her back legs are not sitting straight with her body, she could have hip problems.

Any spine or joint issues can get worse as the rabbit grows bigger. The extra weight, as she grows and the extra length, as she matures, puts pressure on all the joints, but especially the spine, hips and shoulders.

It may not be an "injury" per se... but it could be a congenital problem that is showing up as she grows. Or it could be nothing to worry about... but you are taking a real chance if you don't get her checked out by someone that knows...

Latest posts

Back