Vacuums?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommended a good vacuum for pet hair? My rabbits all seem to be molting, and this is the first apartment I've had with carpeting, so naturally, their fur is everywhere. I'm looking for a good vacuum that will pick up most of it.

I use the Dyson Animal. It's the best vacuum I've ever had. The first time it was used, I had to empty the canister twice it picked up so much fur.

I've heard really good things about Dysons. They are pricey though, so I know I won't be getting one anytime soon.

We have an older model Dirt Devil, and it works really well. It gets all the fur from my long haired dog and three rabbits. It also picks up hay and bunny poop without a problem usually unless it gets clogged. It's pretty easy to clean out if it gets clogged up.

The Dyson's are pricey, but well worth the money. They will last forever and get your house super clean. Mine even came with a power nozzle to use on the furniture. My hubby thought I was nuts to ask for a vacuum for my birthday last year!

If you are interested in getting a Dyson at some time in the future, I recommend keeping an eye on websites like slickdeals or similar. Just search for Dyson. Lots of stores have sales on Dyson on a regular basis, and people on those websites will post the ads/deals they find. Also, if you don't have to have the absolute newest model, Dyson regularly releases new models, sometimes they only difference is a different color than last year's model. The older ones will get discounted. Of course, the caveat for deals like these is that they can happen at any time, and may only last for a few days, so you might miss out if you don't jump on it.

I got a Dyson for a very good price with the help of slickdeals, I think I paid right around, or just under, $200 for a brand new one, including tax and free shipping. It was a model that got discontinued, but it's perfect for me. (DC18 Slim, original MSRP was $469.) I replaced a bagless Dirt Devil that was twice as loud, picked up half as much dirt, and cost me a fortune in replacement HEPA filters.

Also, remember that the only difference between the Animal versions and the non-Animal versions is the set of attachments. All of the attachments that are packaged with the Animals can be purchased separately.

If you go for a different vacuum, make sure to pay attention to things like filters that have to be replaced, and note the cost of them. Figure this into the overall cost of the vacuum. (In the two years I had the Dirt Devil, it cost me more, total, than what I paid for my Dyson, which has lifetime filters.)

Dyson Animal. I would marry it if it were legal. Completely worth the price

You could look at Sam's Club or Costco too for better priced Dysons. It's the attachments the vacuum comes with that jack up the price. You could always buy the base (DC17 or DC24) model and just order whatever "animal" attachment you want on Dyson.com.

My purple Animal Dyson came with around 3 attachments that I don't even use. But some people do! ;)

The bissell I bought actually has reviews comparing it to the dyson and the first time i vacuumed the house I had to empty the canister 4x because the old vacuum left that much crud on our floor and it was Eureka. If you cannot spend a ton of money on a vacuum right now the bissell is more then worth the $46 I paid before tax at Walmart.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I use the Dyson Animal. It's the best vacuum I've ever had. The first time it was used, I had to empty the canister twice it picked up so much fur.

I have the Dyson Animal also and I agree... my only problem with it is that the bunnies hate the noise of it.

angieluv wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:

I have the Dyson Animal also and I agree... my only problem with it is that the bunnies hate the noise of it.
I think my Dyson is actually a lot quieter than a lot of vacuums. The bunnies have gotten used to it anyway. They actually come up and sniff it while it's running.

You haven't cleaned till you've vacuumed with a Dyson! I'm a happy customer. It's amazing and I also think it's pretty quiet. When the rolling brush operates it is louder but I don't think it's any worse than other vacuums. I love that it is a Hepa filter vacuum because I have hay allergies. It picks up everyting and all the fur my 3 buns dish out when they synchronize their molts.

I've got a Dyson also - the plain vanilla model, as I'm not domestic enough to figure out or use attachments. I just ask that a vacuum suck, so to speak, and boy does the Dyson ever suck... ... up dust, I mean.

The only thing I would say is to ignore the ads that say they can't clog. They can, and do, especially when they're picking up the hay that a bunny has tracked all around the house over the course of a few weeks (I said I wasn't very domestic). However, the Dyson is designed to come apart at every place that it can clog, so it's just a matter of pulling off all the different connections until you find the clogged one.

I am waiting for my Filter Queen to die so I can get a Dyson canister.

I have the Dyson DC-16 (Hand held). I love it and hate it. I use it 3-4 times a day but the battery life is so short and getting shorter. Dyson won't sell replacement batteries, so I will probably have to chuck the hand held.

Bebe is so use to our vacuums. She won't move and I have to vacuum around her. I can vacuum herif I don'tfeel like brushing her. She would follow the shop vac and chin it when I have it on.

Latest posts

Back