Vaccines?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanice-Lila

Reaction score
Hi. So I am hoping to harness train my rabbit so I can take him out to calm parks, so he can enjoy some grass and a hop about, but now I’m wondering if he would need to be vaccinated? And if so what for? And how safe are vaccines because if they are risky then I wouldn’t do it and skip taking him out places all together. So if anyone knows anything about vaccines then I would appreciate some advice :)

Hello,

In Hungary we do have: Pestoryn Mormyx and Nobivac: both of them for the same type of disases. Nobivac is stronger and only needs 1 shot per year, however it is much more likely to wear down the bunnies for a few days. Pestoryn Mormyx on the other hand is weaker and needs to be repeated every half year.

The other type of shot your bunny would need is for RHD2 virus, here in Hungary we have "ERAVAC" for that. Lasts for 9 months. Based on my experience it wears down the bunny for multiple days and they get limp for a few hours after the shot. (Like their limbs become numb)

There is a combinated as well which is probably called "Nobivac plus" that is an "all in one", however I dont have experience with that.
And on a final note: once you start a vaccination it is recommended to do that moving forward. (So if you started Pestoryn, stick with that for the life of the bunny).

Also, once your bunny receives the shot, it won't mean immunity immediatley. It will take 2 weeks to become immune.

Oh and what are the diseases? Im no expert on that but one of them is spread by Mosquito (Myxomatosis) and the other one can spread from bunny to bunny (RHD2)

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Hello,

In Hungary we do have: Pestoryn Mormyx and Nobivac: both of them for the same type of disases. Nobivac is stronger and only needs 1 shot per year, however it is much more likely to wear down the bunnies for a few days. Pestoryn Mormyx on the other hand is weaker and needs to be repeated every half year.

The other type of shot your bunny would need is for RHD2 virus, here in Hungary we have "ERAVAC" for that. Lasts for 9 months. Based on my experience it wears down the bunny for multiple days and they get limp for a few hours after the shot. (Like their limbs become numb)

There is a combinated as well which is probably called "Nobivac plus" that is an "all in one", however I dont have experience with that.
And on a final note: once you start a vaccination it is recommended to do that moving forward. (So if you started Pestoryn, stick with that for the life of the bunny).

Also, once your bunny receives the shot, it won't mean immunity immediatley. It will take 2 weeks to become immune.

Hope this helps a bit.
This is helpful thank you

What vaccinations are recommended and which are available, varies per country (and sometimes local area as well). There are a few recommended ones for the UK.

Here is a brief summary of what's recommended:
https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/health/vaccinations
Aside from that, it isn't just vaccines to consider when taking a rabbit outside. A rabbit will likely graze on any grass, so do you know how the grass is treated? Is it sprayed with pesticides, weed killer? What about pests (mosquitos, flies, ticks, mites) they might pick up?

Oftentimes it may be safer, if one wants bunny outside for a little fresh air, to keep them confined to hardscape with an ex-pen (under supervision) or a rabbit-safe enclosure. If one wants to just show off their rabbit (who wouldn't?), then a pet stroller can be the safer option.

Attachments

• 100_8255.JPG
    100_8255.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_8258.JPG
    100_8258.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 3
I just inquired my vet on getting cadbury vaccinated I’m in SC and she said I would need to do RHVD2 which is a 2 part shot you get one then the second booster so many days later and they require a microchip incase they were to get lost at the one vet I checked. They also told me Advantage 2 and revolution are safe flea treatments to use on rabbits however ALL animals are different.
rabbit.org/faq-grooming and you can also go to rabbit.org/rhdv to see where the outbreaks are so far .

In the UK Nobivac Myxo RHD Plus is used. They need to be vaccinated yearly. He needs to be vaccinated even if he is 100% indoors. The vaccine is very safe. It takes 2-3 weeks for immunity to develop. Find a good rabbit vet here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List Harnesses are not recommended. Most bunnies hate being taken out of their familiar environment and they cannot exercise properly with a harness plus harnesses are dangerous. There is nothing in it for the bunny. As long as they have lots of space 24/7 with enrichment they have zero need to be taken anywhere other than for vet visits. If you have a garden you could set up a large safe run if you want your bunny to have some outdoor time.

I also remember her telling me the Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus (RHDV) is highly contagious and deadly caused by a calicivirus that affects wild and domestic rabbits . The virus is shed in urine , feces, and secretions from eyes , nose, and mouth , and remains present in fur and internal organs and tissue. Rabbits are infected by oral, nasal or ocular exposure to the virus or by blood feeding insects. Being a first time bun bun owner my vet loaded me with info 😂

I also remember her telling me the Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus (RHDV) is highly contagious and deadly caused by a calicivirus that affects wild and domestic rabbits . The virus is shed in urine , feces, and secretions from eyes , nose, and mouth , and remains present in fur and internal organs and tissue. Rabbits are infected by oral, nasal or ocular exposure to the virus or by blood feeding insects. Being a first time bun bun owner my vet loaded me with info 😂
There is an informational thread on RHVD2 in the US here:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rhvd2-in-the-us-what-you-need-to-know.99131/
(The OP is from the UK, so they have other vaccines recommended as well. Having the RHVD2 vaccine in the US is quite new and only available in some areas of the US.)

Latest posts

Back