Vaccination side effects?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting annual vaccination boosters this week for my bunnies for the first time (we rescued them so their first lot was done by the rescue centre). I was just wondering if there might be any side effects I should expect if anyone has experienced this? I live in the UK so will be vaccinating against myxomatosis and RHD/RHD2.

I don't think there should be any side effects. There is always a chance of something going wrong and the animal having an allergic reaction, but the vet will know what to do if that happens.

There will always be a risk for side effects with vaccines, but the chance of it to happen is extremely small. It’s the same with the risk of us taking a vaccine.

You weight up the pro and cons, also that you will be lucky and not get any side effects. Often the bunnies will be okay, some vets will let your bunny stay a bit longer to observe if the bunnies get an allegic reaction when it’s their first shot ☺️

I vaccinate all my bunnies every year, they get two shots. So you have nothing to worry.

Myself was one of that was a bit lucky with only getting a fever after taking a vaccine once. I didn’t take the second shot because I ended up being sick for a month and didn’t want to take the chance. That vaccine had quite bad side effects and many ended up getting different side effects, before it was pulled out from the market.

Hello,

I am getting annual vaccination boosters this week for my bunnies for the first time (we rescued them so their first lot was done by the rescue centre). I was just wondering if there might be any side effects I should expect if anyone has experienced this? I live in the UK so will be vaccinating against myxomatosis and RHD/RHD2.
99.9% of bunnies don't experience any side effects other being a bit quiet for a day or so. Don't worry!

Hello,

My rabbit gets vaccinated every year, I didn’t even realise that there were side affects. My rabbit would just take it, fuss about the vet holding him still, and then want food when we get back home. I’m also in the U.K., so we have to get all three also. Your rabbit might be a little bit less energetic or will be calmer but it’s not likely that he’ll get any proper side effect. Especially if he’s had them before!

Thank you everyone that is reassuring, as they’ve had them before I’m hoping nothing very bad will happen. I know that it’s not unusual for us to feel weird after vaccinations I wondered if it was normal for a bunny to be ‘off colour’ in a similar way afterwards

Thank you everyone that is reassuring, as they’ve had them before I’m hoping nothing very bad will happen. I know that it’s not unusual for us to feel weird after vaccinations I wondered if it was normal for a bunny to be ‘off colour’ in a similar way afterwards
He shouldn’t be too off that he won’t eat or poop but he might be a little calm or tired. That’s never been an issue for me, my rabbit would just bounce right back after vaccinations as if nothing happened. I don’t think vaccination affect them the same way it would us.

Yes, they can be a bit 'off' but I'm never sure whether that is because of the vac or the stress of the vet visit. Just keep them eating lots of hay. They'll be fine.

My bunnies are never off after vaccination but I can get a grumpy bunny after the vet. But after leaving Toste alone he will bounce back when I bribe him with treats ☺️

So how a bunny react to vaccination will be different but most will just act like normal.

Vaccines all done, need to get the RHD2 in June but the first one went well, the worst bit was taking them in to the vet when they sit there all shaky and wide eyed in their carriers makes me feel so guilty. Once they were home have been completely normal since, thanks everyone for your comments :)

Latest posts

Back