Urine soaked

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My poor bunny. I have noticed since she got spayed a few months ago that she is more urine stained. I have washed her lower area but I just do not know what to do. I am afraid the urine might be burning her skin. Her litter pan is the mesh over the wood pellets. She sometimes pulls her hay down and goes on that. Should I trim her fur? What should I do differently? She had white fur and looks gross.

I second Mileybun's suggestion to see the vet; hopefully it's an bladder infection since that's easy to test for and clear up with antibiotics. She might also have a back injury or arthritis--both things that could make sticking her butt out to pee a painful position to hold. She'll need x-rays to confirm those.

There's no harm in trimming her fur a little and if you find irritated skin, you could slather some Bag Balm or Vaseline on her butt to protect the skin. To get her back to pristine white, I recommend Zymox enzymatic shampoo, though it's out of stock on their website.

Oh! I also just realized that wire mesh can hold urine and transfer it back to the rabbit if they tend to meditate in their litter box. You might wash her again and try just the wood pellets for a day. :) It's a long shot, but might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back