Urine Sludge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
Hello! Today I was cleaning out Theo's litter box and after removing the newspaper that I line the box with, I saw what I thought looked like urine sludge (see picture). I totally might be overthinking this, but thought I should get y'alls opinion. I also noticed that on one of his mats there was what looked like pee (see picture), but it could have just been pee that was left on his feet after using the litter box. He is the most litter trained rabbit in the world and never uses the bathroom out of the litter box. I have already done lots of research on urine sludge, and Theo doesn't have any other symptoms. He drinks plenty of water, eats tons of hay, is super active, etc.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1607807575017.png
    1607807575017.png
    470.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1607807709114.png
    1607807709114.png
    488.1 KB · Views: 9
I don’t think it’s urine sludge, it could just be that he had more calcium in his urine than usual - maybe too much kale or something like that. But of course, keep an eye out for anymore symptoms of it, and look for it throughout the week. As for the mat, it’s probably from his feet. i hope he’s alright though!

Thank you! That is what I was thinking since he doesn't have any other symptoms but wanted to know what y'all thought just to be safe. Maybe he did have more calcium in his urine. The only thing extra I have been giving him is some homemade treats, but they don't have kale in them. He hasn't had veggies recently because we are in quarantine after my mom was around someone who tested positive; hopefully, we will get cleared soon since none of us have symptoms. I did look at getting some veggies delivered to my house, but they don't deliver where we are. Hopefully, I can run to the store tomorrow and just stay away from people or do a click-list so I can get him some fresh veggies!

Ah okay! I’m sure it’s not a big problem though! I hope he gets veggies soon - I'm sure he’s missing them lol! And I hope your self-isolation period comes to an end soon!

Is that several days worth of build up? Best way to know is to have newspaper down in the litter box and get a fresh urine spot to examine. Then you can see if the urine is actually thick and creamy, gel like, or pasty and gritty. Or if it is normal and thin, and maybe just whitish and cloudy from a normal amount of calcium sediment.

That is about a week's worth of build-up. I will lay the newspaper down and see what the results are. Thank you!

The newspaper trick worked! There was only a little bit of build-up on part of it, but I think that was because there was hay on the newspaper. What do yall think? After this morning, I don't think he has urine sludge.

Attachments

• 1607879074663.png
    1607879074663.png
    751.7 KB · Views: 7
If the white residue left on the newspaper is chalky, that would be normal. If it seems yellowish brown and/or thickened at all where it's gel like or pasty as it dries, that would be sludge that could lead to other bladder issues.

As far as I know such residues are normal, the calcium settles from the urine after some time. it just shows the way how rabbits get rid of exzess calcium, which by itself is completly normal, just shows he gets enough of it. It shouldn't be obvious in fresh urine.

Problems start when that settles while stiull in the bladder, due to health reasons, much too much calcium, low activity etc - that's bladder sludge then, which can cause more problems.

Thank y'all for your help! After reading your comments I think that it is not sludge and that he is healthy.

Latest posts

Back