Urine issues still and now bloody hocks.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score
I was searching the Library and found this thread, sounds so similar to what's happening w/ Snuff. The pic is exactly what his foot looks like.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=10453&forum_id=1

We found a couple bloody spots in his cage the other day, not sure where it came from, hocks didn't look too bad. Saw more blood spots today, picked him up, bloody hock. The other foot looks like it's going to follow. For now, we have it wrapped up, has been since around 5:30ish. He hasn't kicked it off and isn't messing w/ it at all, thank goodness.

We're going to take him in Monday if I can get in. (I've already called and left a message) He'll definitely be needing antibiotics now. Poor baby.:(

He's also been peeing out of his litterbox for a couple weeks, we have newspaper down and just keep changing out the wet w/ new dry. He's partially bald on his rear and legs from urine scald:(, but white/pink skin, not red or irritated. I've been giving him butt baths as needed. The vet said to do Epsom salt soaks, so that's what I've been doing.

We really cannot afford this vet visit, but his condition will only cost more if we don't get this under control now.

Was wondering about Ibuprofren, I've heard it mentioned before, but couldn't recall deets. Found this on my notes I saved posted by sas:

"Any of the NSAIDs (motrin, [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]ibuprofen, metacam, toradol, etc.) are very stressful on the liver and to some degree on the kidneys when the animal (any species including humans) are the least bit dehydrated. I always offer supplemental hydration when using NSAIDs especially if the situation requires them for longer than three days. I generally use NSAIDs only if there is some type of swelling due to injury or illness and try to keep dosing no more than three days. The liver in a rabbit is very vulnerabletothisfamily of drug. I treat moderate pain usually with Tramadol and more acute pain with Buprenex." info from Randy

Its just a guess but it may be a urinary tract issue and everything else is a symptom. I'd check for infection or stones.

Are you clearly seeing a bad sore on the hocks? What kind of flooring is he on? Has he had sore hocks before?

It may be that his hopping stance has changed with the discomfort of the other ailment, although it could also be the sore hocks are causing him to pee funny. But I suspect the former.

I think he needs fluids. Definately don't give him pain NSAID meds like metacam or ibuprofen, at least not without a lot of fluids. Cranberry juice might help, but me thinks he's a sick bunny. :( So sorry. :( :(

sas :pray:

He's ok! Man, he scared me, his ears felt cold, seemed too chill. Just sitting there after I put him back. I'm sorry everyone. He's ok, thank God.

Thanks so much sas, I also have asked Angela, she said same thing, and now this, so, double threat. He's on plastic, now covered w. newspaper.

We can't afford it, but now we know it needs antibiotics now, so. at least it will be worth going, I won't be leaving w/ an "I don't know what's wrong" explanation.:)

Sas, the first pic in the link is exactly what it is.

That's really up to the vet. Totally depends on the vet, what's effective in your area, what the ailment(s) are, what the bacteria is...

They can either try a good guess and prescribe something and if it works, great, if not, try something else.

Or pay for a culture and give the right one right away.

All kinds of antibiotics out there.

sas :clover:

Update: I'm so happy to report that the hocks looks so much better! I really think that the first night using the A&D ointment did alot of good. We're now using the Neosporin w/out the pain med. They are looking great!:D

Oh, I missed this thread! I hope your tax return comes really fast. I know how it is to be short and have something go wrong with a pet!

If his bum is staying wet, clip the fur back. Basic grooming scissors are a couple of bucks, if you don't have anything proper around. You can give him regular dry butt baths with cornstarch, too. Just towel the wet fur down, rub cornstarch in, and gently brush it back out. You can use the A&D ointment or Bag Balm to protect the skin.

Latest posts

Back