Urinating Issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beastkeeper

Reaction score
Hello.
I allow my 8 month old Lionhead Rabbit to run freely in my back yard (very secure) but the little guy loves sleeping next to my old Yellow Labrador Retriever "Daisy" and spraying her with urine. Will getting him neutered help control this? I don't want to put him through the discomfort of getting fixed if it probably won't help. Daisy has always done very well with rabbits and I would hate to have to keep them separated.

Nietering is definitely a good idea. Fixed rabbits are usaully better about using their litter boxes and not spraying pee.

Thank you for the replies! I would never have thought a rabbit would "claim" a dog for his own, lol. I use a vet in town that specializes in exotic animals. I'll give her a call and set up an appointment.
Thanks again and Happy New Year to all!
The Beastkeeper

Yes, spaying her will certainly stop her spraying.

Nope, spaying the dog will not make him not spray her :D ;)

Anyway, that problem might resolve itself with time, but getting him fixed might reduce the bathing-the-dog schedule for 2 years or so.

Lol! I knew what you meant John Wick and thanks again to all for the reassurance of hope that this problem can be resolved.

Thank you for the replies! I would never have thought a rabbit would "claim" a dog for his own, lol. I use a vet in town that specializes in exotic animals. I'll give her a call and set up an appointment.
Thanks again and Happy New Year to all!
The Beastkeeper

Male rabbits are just a heap of hormones packed into those little bodies. They'll pretty much 'claim' anything in sight by spraying or humping, including inanimate objects. I used to get showered by my intact buck, when I walked into my rabbits room. Getting sprayed with rabbit urine... boy that's fun :p

Do make sure your vet is really experienced with rabbits. Less chance of complications occurring the better the rabbit vet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Yeah! This guy has gotten out of hand! Our previous male (R.I.P.) was allowed to run free in the back yard but was much more "matured" and never sprayed. I'm seeing the vet tomorrow and will ask a lot of questions.

Latest posts

Back