URGENT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup830

Reaction score
My bunny buttercup is 2. I'm at the vet with her right now because she wasn't able to get food into her mouth. She keeps trying to eat and it's literally just falling out. Has this happened to any one?? I need bunny support !

My bunny buttercup is 2. I'm at the vet with her right now because she wasn't able to get food into her mouth. She keeps trying to eat and it's literally just falling out. Has this happened to any one?? I need bunny support !
[/
I'm new so i cant help or anything, but i am praying for your buns health and wellness!

It sounds like it is some sort of teeth issue. Ask the vet to check her front molars, her back teeth and maybe even do an xray (i'm not sure.) Dental problems in rabbits

Does sound like a dental problem. Likely she needs some teeth filed down. Hopefully your vet did a thorough dental exam and discovered what the exact problem was.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm
Yes! Thank you for your response. After a very stressful evening at the hospital, there were various sharp points on her molars. She also seems to have a bit of an off bite. She's on two different medications now to help with pain, and for GI movement. We are feeding her critical care and water 4 times a day to assure she gets the nutrients and hydration she needs. She has been in and out of the doctor for the past month! I feel so bad for her little mind and body, I am doing everything I can to help her. Watching her pick up and drop food is very hard to witness. The vet said she should have a turn around in 48 hours and be able to eat on her own. ***Is it usually like this after a teeth shaving???

Bone spurs on the sides of the teeth. Typically show up in lops (due to the compressed skulls in that breed).

One thing that helps cut down on tooth spurs is more timothy hay.

You'll want to keep an eye on your bunny. If you see difficulty chewing again, it's back to the vet to have the new spurs filed down again. This is similar to what horse vets refer to as floating their teeth.

If your bunny doesn't want to eat hay, try the following:

Before you go to sleep for the night, leave your rabbit with just timothy hay and water. Around 4 AM, your rabbit will probably start munching on the hay. However, in this case, your rabbit is having trouble chewing, so be sure that she gets foods that she can actually chew. The above technique for encouraging rabbits to eat hay is for bunnies that can chew without difficulty.

A friend of mine has a bunny with a chronic case of tooth spurs that requires fairly frequent vet visits. It's so bad that she has to make a mix of mash out of timothy hay pellets and water so that her rabbit can eat. Odds are your case won't ever get that bad and your rabbit will (hopefully) recover in a few weeks.

I have a question if anyone can help me . My bunnies bottom teeth are quite long, are dentals safe for bunnies aged 8+ and he has snuffles . I’m worried if I put him under I’ll lose him 🙈

I have a question if anyone can help me . My bunnies bottom teeth are quite long, are dentals safe for bunnies aged 8+ and he has snuffles . I’m worried if I put him under I’ll lose him 🙈
You need to start your own thread. More people will see it, and be able to help you.

No matter how old a bunny is, bad teeth need to be sorted out, you don't really have a choice. Very important to go to a proper rabbit vet. Find a good rabbit vet here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List

Latest posts

Back