URGENT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buncake

Reaction score
Hello guys please help me
I don't know what's wrong with my rabbit
It's 4:30AM for me and she's been acting weird for a couple of hours
She'd stand still in her place and not move for very long periods of time
She didn't come get her favorite treats
Her droppings were smaller than usual
She lied down on the carpet then pooped all over it
Then ran to the couch, lied down, immediately got up, backed into the corner and peed on the couch
I put her down and she ran to the tent where her litterbox is then pooped there
Then got inside the litter box and LIED DOWN IN IT
Now she's just been hiding there for like half an hour
All of these are things she's NEVER done.
She never peed nor pooped outside her litterbox and I've had her for almost 2 years now.
She's also spayed.
I don't know what's going on or why she's doing that

If you have any emergency vets near you, I’d take her ASAP.

It sounds like her stomach could possibly be hurting her. If it's bloat then that's an immediate emergency. If it's possibly gas pain, I will first try giving baby gas drops 1-2ml once an hour for 3 hours, then if no improvement or if symptoms worsen, right to the vet. But often that does the trick. Or it could be something else. If she develops watery or pudding like diarrhea, that's an emergency too.
https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

But she already peed and pooped. I massaged her belly and I listened to it, there's no sound. She's just very still and she won't get up or move nor eat. I can't take her anywhere for another 6-8 hours, I honestly don't know what to do. She keeps sitting down anywhere.

Does she look scared or frightened ie are her ears up and she’s running away or is she flopping down and looking relaxed or is she pressing her tummy to the floor and grunting/rubbing her teeth together?
She could be frighted by a noise you can’t hear or soemthing she can sense and Is marking her territory or she could be in pain- offer her some leafy greens and water she If she will eat? If she does eat for a while take her to the vets ASAP!

Does she look scared or frightened ie are her ears up and she’s running away or is she flopping down and looking relaxed or is she pressing her tummy to the floor and grunting/rubbing her teeth together?
She could be frighted by a noise you can’t hear or soemthing she can sense and Is marking her territory or she could be in pain- offer her some leafy greens and water she If she will eat? If she does eat for a while take her to the vets ASAP!

She does look scared. She won't move at all. Wherever I put her, she'd immediately sit or lay down. She won't move at all. She won't eat nor drink. She's been acting this weird for hours now and I have no more tears left in me. I'm afraid she's dying.
She's doing things she's never done before, and she's not doing things she'd ALWAYS do like licking me when I pet her or eating her treats or waiting for me by the door whenever I leave my bedroom. She just keeps sitting down and dropping pellets behind her. I'm so scared, I don't know what to do.

Have you manage to see a vet? Just wondering and hoping your rabbit is doing better now...

Hello!
Sorry I didn't update you guys but yes, I took my baby to the vet the very next day and as soon as I could.
Although he said he was not experienced with rabbits and didn't know anyone that was, he simply gave her two shots, antibiotics and something through her mouth.
He apologized for not being able to identify the problem and I got very scared because I contacted the vets around and they said they don't deal with rabbits.
Anyway, I bought semithcone, syringe and baby food and force fed her some baby food as soon as we got home.
Within two hours or so, she actually started getting better. Then she started eating. Today. She's all back to normal and I couldn't be any happier!
Thank you all for your messages!

Hello!
Sorry I didn't update you guys but yes, I took my baby to the vet the very next day and as soon as I could.
Although he said he was not experienced with rabbits and didn't know anyone that was, he simply gave her two shots, antibiotics and something through her mouth.
He apologized for not being able to identify the problem and I got very scared because I contacted the vets around and they said they don't deal with rabbits.
Anyway, I bought semithcone, syringe and baby food and force fed her some baby food as soon as we got home.
Within two hours or so, she actually started getting better. Then she started eating. Today. She's all back to normal and I couldn't be any happier!
Thank you all for your messages!
The exact same thing happened to my bun months ago! Wouldn’t eat or drink and just acting strange! Vet examined him and I spent a LOT of money on critical care and painkillers, gave him a syringe full and some herbs and force fed him a bit and within hours he bounced right back to normal!! Never knew what it was- maybe they just have off days sometimes! Glad your buns back to it’s happy self :) you did the right thing!

Glad your bunny is better! We realized after a 4-5 hour long hunger strike that our bunny will not eat hay or snacks if her greens are even slightly not fresh. Kale, no matter how green, gives off an odor if it’s starting going bad... (Also, she only likes long, thick pieces of hay. As soon as we get to the part of the bag that looks like grass clippings she will toss it to the side.) Some of this must be a defense mechanism for a rabbit to avoid tummy issues. To me her food looked fine, nothing wrong with freshness or expiration date, but I realized later she was sending a message that something wasn’t right. As soon as I opened a new bag (during the first and thankfully last scare) that was to her liking she dove right in. Message received, LOL. Bunnies are smart—ours is still teaching us.

Last edited:
Hi
Glad all seems well again- had exactly the same with my rabbit about 3 weeks ago- lying in hay not moving bet vet said she had a temp but didn’t know why. Just to say my vet is very savvy and just did same as yours 2 antibiotic shots and then some pain meds for a few days- some critical care ( quite unsuccessfully!) and she was right as rain again. j
Alice Trancy1128271 said:
Hello guys please help me
I don't know what's wrong with my rabbit
It's 4:30AM for me and she's been acting weird for a couple of hours
She'd stand still in her place and not move for very long periods of time
She didn't come get her favorite treats
Her droppings were smaller than usual
She lied down on the carpet then pooped all over it
Then ran to the couch, lied down, immediately got up, backed into the corner and peed on the couch
I put her down and she ran to the tent where her litterbox is then pooped there
Then got inside the litter box and LIED DOWN IN IT
Now she's just been hiding there for like half an hour
All of these are things she's NEVER done.
She never peed nor pooped outside her litterbox and I've had her for almost 2 years now.
She's also spayed.
I don't know what's going on or why she's doing that

Guys, I appreciate all your messages but she's back to acting weird and I'm about to lose my mind. This afternoon we snuggled in bed together and all was good then I fell asleep and when I woke up she didn't run to welcome me like she always does, she didn't come for the treat and now she won't lick me or eat anything other than paper.
I gave her a couple of 1 cc semithcone in case her tummy wasn't feeling well again and now I don't know what to do.
It's very late again and I can't take her to the vet.
She's not acting as severely bad as she did a couple of days ago but she's still not being herself.
I don't understand what keeps happening.

Guys, I appreciate all your messages but she's back to acting weird and I'm about to lose my mind. This afternoon we snuggled in bed together and all was good then I fell asleep and when I woke up she didn't run to welcome me like she always does, she didn't come for the treat and now she won't lick me or eat anything other than paper.
I gave her a couple of 1 cc semithcone in case her tummy wasn't feeling well again and now I don't know what to do.
She's not acting as severely bad as she did a couple of days ago but she's still not being herself.

Are there any rabbit-savvy vets near you? You need to get her to one. I know that it’s late and you can’t get to the vet so I’ll just say what I’d do.
I’d check her over, her ears, teeth, stomach and anywhere else. Then I’d offer some food, I’d try not to give pellets (I honestly don’t know why) but I’d offer as many lettuces as I could, maybe some apple of banana. Then I’d go to wherever she is in the house, with a small blanket and pillow - maybe - and stay with her until I could get her to a vet. Stay up for as long as you can spare to make sure that she’s okay. I’d leave some food in her bowl and stock the litter box high with hay and fill her water too. Offer her some herbs. My rabbit Apollo takes the syringe really well, I don’t know if yours does. But I’d try to give her something to eat, even if I have to syringe it (as long as you know how to do it). Maybe make ‘pellet mush’ and put it on a spoon for her to lap up?

I honestly don’t know. I’m not particularly new to rabbits but I haven’t been doing it as long as some of the other people have. I just really want her to get better.

Could you call a vet and ask what to do? I hope she gets better.

I've been looking everywhere and some people said that there's this one doctor that's rabbit savvy, he's a little too far from my house but I'll pay him a visit first thing tomorrow.
As of what you said, she's been in the litterbox for like an hour now, and I went to check now and she had droppings there, I know they're from now because I cleaned the litterbox to see her droppings.
I had given her 3 cc of semithcone earlier, 1 cc per hour, then 3 cc of vegetable baby food and some water all through a syringe because she won't anything at all but paper. And her droppings were variant, some were normal, some were mushy and wet, maybe because she hadn't anything in her tummy other than the baby food.
Although she's acting strange as hell, but she's not as bad as she was the first time because she can still hop and gets alarmed when I make sudden noises but I'm definitely getting her to the vet as soon as I can, hopefully they can do something for her. And of course I'm with her. She's in my bedroom and I keep checking on her and petting her. She's my baby after all.

Ugh, now I'm hesitant about that doctor because someone told me that he made their cat worse by giving bad medication

Ugh, now I'm hesitant about that doctor because someone told me that he made their cat worse by giving bad medication
Do you think that maybe she might be spooked of something Maybe feeding her in a different room Did she get into something

No, nothing at all.
I'm almost certain it's her tummy but I don't know what's wrong with it or what to do for her.
I already tried Semithcone and feeding her vegetable baby food but she refuses to eat anything but paper for some reason and she's far less active.

This happened to my 2 old Netherland Dwarfs (2011 - 2013) rip. I was 7 at the time of their death, I was at a emergency animal hospital at 1 - 2am. I am now 13 and have owned 2 more rabbits.

Elsa: 2012 - 2019
Oreo: c. August 2019 -

If you search around you should be able to find an overnight vets.

Latest posts

Back