URGENT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am unable to get into the vet until next week but I am really worried. Just today I’ve noticed my rabbit has an extreme loss of energy and I have felt his stomach and it feels like he hasn’t eaten, I tried to give him some greens with water content as well as his hay and got him inside just to check on him. It is also one of the windiest days of the year. He is nibbling his food but not eating it as he usually would. He also is very still and will usually jump around like no tomorrow. He is only around 9 months old.

I was thinking it could be from stress from being outside in the wind that’s why I rushed to get him inside and that’s when I noticed how he was acting (he was completely fine yesterday).

Some please help!!

This is how he is sitting too

Attachments

• E0107A5F-5BBB-45DB-976E-FADC0CF49C40.jpeg
    E0107A5F-5BBB-45DB-976E-FADC0CF49C40.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 55A512AE-E292-46AC-B845-5F33B7D00890.jpeg
    55A512AE-E292-46AC-B845-5F33B7D00890.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 5C040AF7-585A-4510-9D12-19D2E4C847B4.jpeg
    5C040AF7-585A-4510-9D12-19D2E4C847B4.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 30
Others will offer better advice but I would say make a slurry or mash from uour pellets and syringe feed him to get his water intake and keep his gi tracg moving. Do this until you can get to a vet. Good luck.

Since he is nibbling, there is hope. If it is stress from being outside, then he could get better after a few days of being inside. Make sure he is pooping. Then you will know if food is going through his digestive tract. A breeder once told me that sometimes when an outdoor rabbit is going through a heavy molt, they sometimes won't eat for a couple of days. I don't know if that is true, but it is something to consider. I don't know how hot it is there, but perhaps he got a little over heated. Good luck and I hope he recovers soon.

Is he grinding his teeth?? If he is grinding his teeth and sitting like that he might be unconfortable. If there was a lot of gas build up or GI stasis he might also be rolling his tummy frequently on the ground from discomfort. Definitely watch his poop, if he has none or they start getting smaller and harder you should take him to a vet. Try mashing his pellets. You could also hand fees him hay to try and keep his gut moving and keep him eating and drinking water.

If you are definitely thinking he is uncomfortable from gas pain or gut stress you can also feed some baby gas drops which won't solve the problem but my rabbit has cecal dysbiosis and it definitely helps a little and buys you time. The discomfort will ease and he might eat more. Google gas drop amounts for rabbits but it really can't harm them as it passes straight through.

If you're still super concerned and especially if he isn't eating, take him to a vet! Hope that helps

I got into the vets, but sadly my little bun was born with a parasite on his brain that is said to be from his mother.This is non treatable and sadly I lost him he was only 9 months old and was loved dearly, he was my best friend.

Attachments

• F7662528-658D-4D91-8C21-B0BCAC86211A.jpeg
    F7662528-658D-4D91-8C21-B0BCAC86211A.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
I got into the vets, but sadly my little bun was born with a parasite on his brain that is said to be from his mother.This is non treatable and sadly I lost him he was only 9 months old and was loved dearly, he was my best friend.
Omg I'm so sorry rest in peace little baby ❤❤❤❤

Gut slowdown may be as the result of a blockage. You need to see a vet as an emergency, please do not accept a later appointment than in the next half hour! Do not give anything other than pain killers and even then only with your vet's approval as they may mask symptoms. Giving anything at all to eat if there is a blockage is highly likely to kill your rabbit, and very painfully. Likewise gut motility drugs. They should only be given if your vet is certain there is no blockage. Giving them to a rabbit with a blockage is likely to rupture the gut and your rabbit will die. if that is the case.

Please read advice here https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/gut-slowdown/

Gut slowdown is almost always a symptom of something. You need to find the cause and sort that out. IT IS ALWAYS AN EMERGENCY.

15-Symptoms-poster.jpg

Omg , i'm so sorry :(

Latest posts

Back