Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxBonnieBunnyxx

Reaction score
My three-year-old rabbit suddenly started acting strange within a few hours. Before he was begging for treats as usual, but when I came back downstairs he suddenly refused to eat anything and turned his back on me before plopping down.

Due to recent house renovations, he had to be moved downstairs and I realize I haven't been as adamant about taking him out of his cage.

I took him out and he ran around and did his usual thing, but when I put him back in his cage he still refused to eat.

When I was examining him I realized he has an extremely large bald spot on his neck that either wasn't there yesterday or I didn't notice it.

I'm worried that it could be something bad (being he has a weight problem we've been trying to get under control)

Some say it's from pent up energy since he hasn't been let out of his cage much lately and has been a bit isolated, but I'm really, really worried.

I'm taking him to the vet regardless.

Here's some pictures below (and one extra of him being cute)

View media item 9735
View media item 9736
View media item 9737

He's deteriorating so fast. It's only been an hour and he's not moving and relaxing around me (aside from turning his back on me when I offer him treats)

He's letting me stroke him which he extremely rarely, if ever, does (he's not aggressive but he's not exactly a cuddly boy).

All the vets are closed and no one is willing to help me transport him to a vet even if there was an emergency place around here.

Looking at his food it doesn't look like he's eaten much of his hay or pellets, and there's not much poop. I'm thinking worst case scenario here and I'm absolutely terrified it could be what I'm thinking it is. I'm hoping he'll last until 8:00AM.

Fixated grooming can be a sign of stress, which may be due to the move. If he ate all that fur, it could also lead to him being blocked up, making him unwilling to eat.

Has he pooped or peed? When you listen to his stomach, do you hear gurgling or anything?

Give him simethicone gas drops right away to see if that will make him feel better and start eating again. That's usually a first go-to whenever a rabbit refuses to eat. But it should be started right away.

Latest posts

Back