URGENT!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xindiaaaa

Reaction score
My rabbit gave birth last week to 8 babies. One of them is in really bad shape, she is obviously the runt. She is all skin and bones while the others are round and warm. I’ve tried hand feeding her but nothing seems to work, she is also missing a leg. Another of my rabbits gave birth to 4 babies at the same time, is there any chance I can make her foster the little one? If so how can I do this? I don’t think the little one will last much longer

If you want to try it, simply put it in the other nest.

It's a normal part of breeding rabbits (or animal husbandry altogether) that some don't make it, rabbits make that up easily with numbers. Considering what you wrote I doubt that this kit stands much a chance - runt, injured or misformed, skinny. But good luck anyway.

You could also take 2 or 3 fatter kits out of the nest every other feeding to reduce the competition for the runt, it doesn't hurt normal kits to miss a meal.

What breed are your rabbits? It could be a peanut. Is the missing leg from a deformity or did the mother accidentally over clean & chew it off? Sorry you have to deal with a sick little baby.

What breed are your rabbits? It could be a peanut. Is the missing leg from a deformity or did the mother accidentally over clean & chew it off? Sorry you have to deal with a sick little baby.
I think she’s a mini Rex mix with nethland dwarf, she’s very small as well so I didn’t think all 8 would make it. When I found this baby it had all its legs but 3 were broken, and the back one was twisted and caught in some fur from the doe. I checked the babies again the next day and the leg had I guess fallen off? There was just a stump with a scab. She’s very frail though and I don’t think she can move to actually get milk from the doe. I’ve moved her to the other does nest and I will check again today

If you want to try it, simply put it in the other nest.

It's a normal part of breeding rabbits (or animal husbandry altogether) that some don't make it, rabbits make that up easily with numbers. Considering what you wrote I doubt that this kit stands much a chance - runt, injured or misformed, skinny. But good luck anyway.

You could also take 2 or 3 fatter kits out of the nest every other feeding to reduce the competition for the runt, it doesn't hurt normal kits to miss a meal.
I’ve put it in the nest with my other doe, I wasn’t sure if there were any other steps to the process, I’ve heard something about vanilla essence on the nose but that might be rumour. Thank you for the help

The little one has now passed away, I’ve just found her which breaks my heart.

The little one has now passed away, I’ve just found her which breaks my heart.

I'm sorry you take it to heart, the first time one gets attached too much to that poor little thing. I still prefer to give them a fighting chance instead of euthanising right away (would do that now in a case like yours, when I started with rabbits - not likely). I even brought some cans of condensed goat milk along last time I was in the US (can't find that here) should the need for handfeeding arise again.

Latest posts

Back