"URGENT" update and questions!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup830

Reaction score
Buttercup was picking up and dropping her food, I posted yesterday and thank you for some responses! After a very stressful evening at the animal hospital, there were various sharp points on her molars. She also seems to have a bit of an off bite. She's on two different medications now to help with pain, and for GI movement. We are feeding her critical care and water 4 times a day to assure she gets the nutrients and hydration she needs. She has been in and out of the doctor for the past month and I think it all rooted from her mouth! I feel so bad for her little mind and body, I am doing everything I can to help her. Watching her pick up and drop food is very hard to witness. The vet said she should have a turn around in 48 hours and be able to eat on her own. ***MY QUESTION IS: IS IT USALLY LIKE THIS AFTER A TEETH SHAVING??? AND IS IT NORMAL FOR THEM TO HAVE VARIOUS PROBLEMS ROOT FROM DENTAL ISSUES???

After being sedated for any procedure, rabbits will usually be a bit lethargic and have reduced appetite for the first 12-24 hours, then they should start acting and eating more normally after that. With having a dental done, that can also make their mouth sore for the next few days, so that can also affect their eating. But gradually each day you should start seeing improvement.

I'm not sure what you're asking by 'problems root from dental issues '. Was something more going on besides dropping food?

After being sedated for any procedure, rabbits will usually be a bit lethargic and have reduced appetite for the first 12-24 hours, then they should start acting and eating more normally after that. With having a dental done, that can also make their mouth sore for the next few days, so that can also affect their eating. But gradually each day you should start seeing improvement.

I'm not sure what you're asking by 'problems root from dental issues '. Was something more going on besides dropping food?
About a month ago i brought her in because she wasn't pooping, the doctor noticed a sharp point in her tooth and trimmed it. With some motility medicine her GI started working again. she has had blood work done and x-rays on her digestive system, nothing stood out.

She stopped pooping again a couple weeks ago and we brought her in and received similar medicines, they helped. T

hen last week she stopped pooping AGAIN so we brought her in and they put her on a probiotic, for continuous taking. Her appetite and pooping was normal again.

Then a couple of days ago she was dropping the food AND not pooping. We took her in for them to shave her teeth which is what is most recent.

My question is: could this all be rooting from the issue with her molars? or are these just a million little different problems....

No, it's likely it could all be due to her dental issues. Rabbits stop pooping because they stop eating or aren't eating enough. Rabbits stop eating because of pain or discomfort, such as from dental pain.

No, it's likely it could all be due to her dental issues. Rabbits stop pooping because they stop eating or aren't eating enough. Rabbits stop eating because of pain or discomfort, such as from dental pain.
That's what I am hoping! Thank you for your responses and support.

Latest posts

Back