URGENT Snuffles Question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh a side note...

The breeder did NOT advocate unlimited hay, she gave them a large handful a day... I will say that there has been considerable weight gain this week, with our bunny being very food orientated. We open the cage door at ANY time and out she springs on to our laps, you can lead her around the room with a piece of hay like her life depends on it haha.

Is this just because she was a bit food deprived? Should we be limiting her portions as she isn't used to unlimited hay? She definitely isn't getting too many pellets in comparison to the hay, this weight has to pretty much be pure hay!

Oh a side note...

The breeder did NOT advocate unlimited hay, she gave them a large handful a day... However, despite her bunnies seeming happy, she also scruffed the babies, so I didn't take her advice too seriously. I will say that there has been considerable weight gain this week, with our bunny being very food orientated. We open the cage door at ANY time and out she springs on to our laps, you can lead her around the room with a piece of hay like her life depends on it haha.

Is this just because she was a bit food deprived? Should we be limiting her portions as she isn't used to unlimited hay? She definitely isn't getting too many pellets in comparison to the hay, this weight has to pretty much be pure hay!

Eating hay is great for them. And I thought my bunny liked his hay! Unlimited hay is needed in a rabbit's diet. I recommend giving a handful in the morning and at night. Weight gain is natural at her age. How much does she weigh and what's her breed?

Eating hay is great for them. And I thought my bunny liked his hay! Unlimited hay is needed in a rabbit's diet. I recommend giving a handful in the morning and at night. Weight gain is natural at her age. How much does she weigh and what's her breed?

Not sure, I'd guess 5-6lbs, she's pure flemish giant. Her mom was 24 lbs, dad over 20!

If I gave her just a handful at morning and night she would be one grumpy bun! I'd say she eats at least 4 handfuls a day on top of her cup-ish of greens (arugula right now) and 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets.

She would eat 10x as much if we let her!

You should let her eat as much as you can! My bun will only eat two handfuls a day. To spice up her hay eating and to get her playing with toys if she isn't that great of a toy player, you can put hay in her toys. Toilet paper tubes are what I use, but because she's bigger than mine you could use paper towel tubes. You could cut holes in it if you'd like to.

Latest posts

Back