URGENT Rabbit Skin Torn off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kachow

Reaction score
Hi everyone- hoping to get help on here. This morning I saw that one of my rabbits had a large section maybe 2inchx1inch of skin and fur totally missing on on of his hind legs (outer thigh). It seems to be behaving normally but I don't want it to get infected and whatnot. For reference (link removed) I can literally see the muscle. Besides cleaning the wound with betadine and maybe putting some neosporin on it, what can I do here?

I have no idea what happened to the bun, they do stay outside but in very secure cages, and i've never had an issue like this in the 5+ years of owning rabbits. I will be doing my best to monitor the health of this rabbit along with any potential causes of the injury

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't put anything on it. Protect it from getting dirty, then you need to get your rabbit to an experienced rabbit vet today. If you can see through the skin layer to muscle, then your rabbit needs stitches, and will also need a rabbit safe oral antibiotic like baytril to stop any infection, and the anti inflammatory pain med meloxicam. You will also need to make sure your rabbit continues to eat and drink normally or you may also need a syringe feeding mix to keep your rabbit fed.

If your rabbit is with other rabbits, they could have caused the injury, and if so then they need to be separated. If not, then thoroughly go over your rabbits area to look for something sticking out that could have caused the injury, and make sure to cover or fix whatever it is.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

What kind/type of housing do you have for the rabbits? The description of the injury sounds like it possibly could have been a predator that was able to reach through a gap enough to get a piece of the leg and then the skin ripped when the rabbit tried to escape. Just wondering if this is a possibility. If it is, then modifications would need to be made to prevent a repeat.

Hi everyone- hoping to get help on here. This morning I saw that one of my rabbits had a large section maybe 2inchx1inch of skin and fur totally missing on on of his hind legs (outer thigh). It seems to be behaving normally but I don't want it to get infected and whatnot. For reference (link removed) I can literally see the muscle. Besides cleaning the wound with betadine and maybe putting some neosporin on it, what can I do here?

I have no idea what happened to the bun, they do stay outside but in very secure cages, and i've never had an issue like this in the 5+ years of owning rabbits. I will be doing my best to monitor the health of this rabbit along with any potential causes of the injury
Hi, i agree that it could be a result of a fight with your other rabbit or from predators if they are housed outdoors, or from some imperfections of the housing itself, so I would check if there's any nails or sharp pieces so he could get damaged from it. If he is with other rabbits I would separate him at least until it healed.

As for the wound itself (I don't like clicking on the links from one-post-members for security reasons, so taking your word on it). If you are unable to see a vet asap I would rinse the wound with saline solution at least and would keep him in a very tiny and clean place so he had no chance to exercise and make it worse, I would rinse with saline solution a couple times a day, maybe I'd use some strong herbal teas for making 5-10 mins compress while holding him on me, also a couple times a day.

Herbs helping wounds to heal faster would be yarrow or calendula in the first place, but also many herbs have anti-inflammatory properties and can be used very effectively instead of using synthetic drugs, like sage, chamomile, thyme, rosemary and some others, they all have antibacterial properties that will help it to heal faster and keep it clean. If you have no access to a vet who can put on stitches you just keep it clean and use herbal compresses on it say twice a day and restrict his movements for a week or so, he will also take care of the wound himself and it should heal itself.

But if your rabbit is housed outdoors and his environment is stinky and attracts flies for instance that would be dangerous as the flies can lay eggs into open wound so it would be best to take him in and make his environment very clean.

It would help if you could post some pictures of the housing so we can at least see if he is housed indoors or outdoors, is he a pet rabbit or else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: the pic you've posted of how to prepare rabbits for the table as I imagine is not allowed here at all. I suspect that you are just anther troll on here, a bit of disappointing as I was genuinely trying to help

The link has been removed. @Kachow for future reference on what is appropriate to post, please review the forum policy and rules. A photo of your rabbits actual injury with a warning in the title of the graphic nature, would have been appropriate.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rabbitsonline-forum-policy-and-decorum.10320/
I hope you were able to find a vet you could get your rabbit into to be seen today, and I hope that your rabbit is going to be ok.

Don't put anything on it. Protect it from getting dirty, then you need to get your rabbit to an experienced rabbit vet today. If you can see through the skin layer to muscle, then your rabbit needs stitches, and will also need a rabbit safe oral antibiotic like baytril to stop any infection, and the anti inflammatory pain med meloxicam. You will also need to make sure your rabbit continues to eat and drink normally or you may also need a syringe feeding mix to keep your rabbit fed.

If your rabbit is with other rabbits, they could have caused the injury, and if so then they need to be separated. If not, then thoroughly go over your rabbits area to look for something sticking out that could have caused the injury, and make sure to cover or fix whatever it is.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Ok so I was quite shocked when I first saw the wound yesterday and I went back and looked at it and it's more like 1x1inch. Since then I've cleaned out the wound with Betadine and applied some antibacterial wound gel and did my best to glue back some of the skin flap that was still there. I also gave the rabbit a small dose of meloxicam. This morning the rabbit was eating and behaving normally, I inspected it again and found that it had clearly disliked the surgical glue and tried to pick at it so i've decided to abandon that route. I have instead been cleaning the wound with betadine and using more of this antibacterial gel. The rabbit does not seem to mind this as much and doesn't try to "clean" the wound as much immediately after I put it back down. I will be inspecting the wound several times per day and cleaning it as needed, depending on the appearance and condition. Overall, rabbit seems to be pretty unbothered by this wound, although I am aware that rabbits are excellent at hiding pain. I will continue giving it meloxicam once a day to help with the pain and inflammation.

Edit: the pic you've posted of how to prepare rabbits for the table as I imagine is not allowed here at all. I suspect that you are just anther troll on here, a bit of disappointing as I was genuinely trying to help
Apologies, I joined the forum quickly to get help, and did not have time to familiarize myself with the rules. I am not a troll, I was just doing my best to find an image that represented the injury as well as possible and quite honestly that image (obviously to a lesser degree on my rabbit) best represented the type of skin removal I was seeing. I apologize for any disturbance this may have caused you. rabbit is doing pretty well now and seems to be behaving normally

Sorry about that, see my above reply for an explanation. I appreciate the input i've gotten on here.

Latest posts

Back