*URGENT* Rabbit dangerously skinny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinknstink

Reaction score
My rabbit has been sick for awhile and it had mainly just been bad incontinence problems, but over the past month he has lost a lot of weight. He has always been on the skinnier side but now he is to the point where I am scared he is going to die from being too skinny. Since he is very fluffy it is hard to tell (lionhead angora mix), but when I pet him, it is like touching a bag of bones. I can feel his spine, all the bones around his hips and legs, and his ribs. They are all feeling sharp and pronounced. He also just looks really weak because of it, sometimes when I put him down he kinda stumbles a little and he looks really unsteady. He barely moves now and it seems like he keeps wanting to support his head on something by putting it against the wall or putting it on his water bowl. When he is sitting, his eyes look kinda squinty too. He is still eating by himself, definitely not as much as he used to but he is still eating. He has teeth problems and has never eaten a lot of hay but I have been blending up some pellets and a little hay and mixing it with some water and applesauce to entice him a little and he has eaten some of it. He has never been a big hay eater, but now the only things he seems to eat are treats (usually dried apples) and he eats some vegetables (lettuce, etc). He doesn’t eat much of his pellets anymore. He is still drinking some water, I would prefer him to drink more though. I tried using a syringe to feed him last night and I would push some food into his mouth but it didn’t seem like he was chewing or swallowing so I stopped because I was scared he would choke or something. He is obviously not pooping as much as normal, but his poops are reallyyyy tiny and some of them are weird shapes. I have also been giving him some canned pumpkin. I went to the vet today and got him some antibiotics (panacur I think). I asked the vet for that because the only thing I have found it might be is e. cuniculi. My vet doesn’t think it is that but I thought it would be good to try because if it isn’t, I may have to put him down because I don’t want him in pain. I ordered some Critical Care stuff but it won’t get here for a few days. Does anybody know what this could be? How can I get my rabbit to put on weight fast? I am really worried about how skinny he is. I am going to start the antibiotic tonight. Please let me know if you have any sort of advice, I am very worried that he might not make it much longer.

Panacur is not an antibiotic, it is a dewormer. You can also soak some pellets in water. You can feed the mushy pellets through a syringe as long as you mix it with enough pumpkin so it will slide in the syringe. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I just gave him his first dose of Panacur and now he keeps opening his mouth kinda wide every few seconds, what does this mean??

What is the vet going to do about his teeth problems? That may be why your bunny is very underweight.

Thank you for all those links and trying to help everyone, I thought I should just let you know that my baby Cotton has passed. I think the opening of the mouth may have been him having a little trouble breathing or something. I think all of his birth defect issues may have just caught up to him finally. Please give your bunnies extra love and cuddles tonight, and thanks again for all the help.

Thank you everyone for all of your kind words, I really appreciate it <3

Latest posts

Back