URGENT rabbit ate some chocolate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymama99

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m in a panic right now, last night I purchased edible double chocolate chip cookie dough..it was a bit too sweet for me so I took out some chocolate chips and put them in a napkin rolled up. I woke up around 7am & somehow my rabbits were in my room one ate through the napkin with them she had a few :( I’m truly not sure how many were in it but she left 3! Nor do I know if my other rabbits helped her but she was on the bed while my other was munching away I’m assuming it’s milk chocolate chips I know chocolate is very toxic, getting a hold of our vet is tough & a emergency clinic is hours away so I’m not sure what to even monitor for or how many hours till you know a rabbits okay after ingesting chocolate!!! Please if anyone has dealt with this or advise if I should still call the vet. I put out plenty of hay they ate some right after they were caught that was around mi 7am-early 8am & now I’ve given some spinach/lettuce! Will she be okay? I’m completely afraid after reading about what could happen..or if what she had was considered a lot. I feel terrible as well but where they managed to climb is usually a place they’ve avoided I’ll leave a photo of the size of chips. As of right now they’re both acting the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4
You said they are eating hay and acting the same so they should be fine. Keep pushing the hay and water since it keeps everything moving. If they stop eating, drinking, playing, etc. then I would take them to the vet. Remember to take both of them to the vet, even if only one of them is sick because they are bonded, and separating them could break their bond. ;)

I would call the vet for advice. I am guessing it is a wait and see....wait if rabbits are going to the bathroom, if they seem comfortable, if they are drinking water and eating. I am sorry that happened.

She should be just fine. There isn't a whole lot of actual chocolate in milk chocolate. Just provide (and keep refreshing) that hay.
I had a rabbit that got to wrapped chocolate bars under the Christmas tree when we had a pet sitter. The rabbit was just fine. It takes a lot of chocolate to be toxic.

Latest posts

Back