**Urgent** My Female rabbit is having dry patches and loosing hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmani5

Reaction score
My female rabbit who is mother to 1 month old kit is having some serious disease spreading rapidly all over its body.

Illness:
Dry scale like patches all over front and back paws, Nose and Ears...
The area where these patches appears causing loss of fur.

Diet:
Hay, Grass, carrots, veggies and some grains...

This is spreading to kits as well...

Please please help me out.... i took to vets but no one knows about Rabbits out here, as i am in india exotic vets are really rare to find...

I am looking for some home remedies or easy to get medicines...

Please check the pictures for clear details.

Thanks!

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

Looks to me like it could be due to mites. Treatment is with the antiparasitic medication Ivermectin. You should be able to get this from a vet. You want the liquid injectable form, but you can give the medication to your rabbit orally through a syringe without a needle. You need to make sure you figure out the dosage correctly, as an overdose can be fatal. Maybe the vet could work the dosage out for you. For rabbits you want to use 0.4mg of the ivermectin per Kg of body weight for your rabbit. So here in the US we use a 1% ivermectin solution, which means it has 10mg of the active ingredient per ml of solution. So it would be 0.04cc or ml of the ivermectin solution given orally, per kg of body weight. If you are also using a 1% or 10mg/ml solution, then this would be the dosage that you would use. You give this once, then repeat a second dose 10-14 days later. You will repeat a third dose another 10-14 days after that for a total of 3 doses. The babies are really too young at this point to treat. It would be best to wait til they are at least 8 weeks old and weaned from the mother. Once weaned and separated from the mother rabbit you can start treating them too, 3 treatments 10-14 days apart. Because you have to wait to treat the babies, you may need to continue a few more treatments for the mom rabbit as she will be re exposed to the mites from the babies that haven't had their treatments yet. So you may possibly need to repeat and give a fourth or fifth dose in another 10-14 days to the mom. Also clean your rabbits environment as best you can after administering each dose.

You will need to have all your rabbits weighed to get the correct dosages for each of them.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

Last edited:
Just to add, some mange mites can spread to other animals eg cats, dogs, goats, horses etc. as well as between animals, so be careful to wash your hands thoroughly after handling them.

Thanks Jbun,
Your reply is quite informative....Sorry i was out of town for 2 weeks...And the mom looks in more serious condition now....
Needs to be treated as soon as possible....

I have a question for you. can i mix this solution with little water and give them orally through injection(without syringe)?
Coz 0.4mg is too less to drop in their mouth....:popcorn2

Our Polish are approx 2-2 1/2 pounds and we dose them with .05cc of ivermectin 1%. You can give it orally in a syringe, without the needle. I would not mix it with water.

Latest posts

Back