Urgent: jumping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinto

Reaction score
I am sorry to bother everybody with a new issue, but yesterday was really a tough day. After coming home I realized my table which is next to the playpen was disarranged, the keyboard moved and the worst thing some monitor cables chewed on (fortunately still working). It seemed that Tinto had somehow managed to climb/jump over the fence and get on the table and back. Then in the evening when I was having a Skype call, I witnessed to the same event. The fence is 27.5 inches (70 cm) high but still his legs are strong enough to jump over it if there is something standing immediately next to the playpen. I thought if will be high enough...

I am so deluded. I bought and I did everything I could and still it doesn't work. I honestly don't know what to do.

How big around is the pen? Could you possible put something over it to deter him from wanting to jump?

I used to have a playpen that was 48" in height. But even that height can be a problem IF there is something next to the pen (inside or out) that can serve as a landing platform.

I've not had any issue with a 30" pen height, BUT, I am careful that no boxes or anything else can serve as a step near the pen wall. Rabbits can easily hop onto a chair or a couch, so jumping over a pen wall is not difficult IF there is something to jump from or land upon.

If the pen wall can't be moved so that it is away from tables, etc, the only option is to cover the pen.

Don't be discouraged. They test barricades and adjustments need to be made. Any one who has had rabbits for any length of time has had some chewing damage.

Thank you guys for encouragement. I cannot really move the table much from the pen, since I wanted to make it as large as possible. Now almost the whole width of my room is taken by my table and hair (1/2) and the rabbit's space (1/2). For now I removed the boxer from near the fence and I covered the space leading to the table (which effectively served as a landing platform...) ;)

My little rabbit dwarf/lionhead jumps really high and the pen is 68 cm he jumps on it then climbs, he's very determined nothing would stop him, I just don't leave him alone in there, must think how to make it higher or cover with some kind of roof.

Boxes I agree don't put boxes near the fence, but my rabbit is so smart he can move boxes closer to cage :)

My rabbits are jumpers too. You can cover with a bed sheet and use wooden clothes pins to keep it on. I also use NIC grids and zip ties and make a top. I connect with zip ties on on end of the cage, and on each side and then life about 1/2 the top to have access to the potty, water, and rabbit(s). To make it sturdy I usually zip them with one grid up on each grid and for the section that opens I don't tighten the zip tie as much so there is movement. Make sure that the grid is larger than the cage so the grid doesn't fall into the cage and possible hurt your rabbit or make it the same size and for the "opening" use a bungee cord to secure it to the top and the cage side.

Thank you guys for all the support. I am so sick of writing all of this but I need it.

First of all, I ordered some extra grids to make the pen higher, especially next to the table. But even though I provisionally put some cardboard there as a roof, the bunny somehow find a way again how to jump over it. Then when I put him back, obviously, he is unhappy of not being able to stay outside and discover other areas and thus starts biting the bars which drives me literally crazy.

To be honest, I liked him because he was curious and courageous, I've never beaten him and I have cared for him so much, but he doesn't seem to appreciate. He has sometimes better days too, but it's so unfair that virtually every video on youtube shows a super calm rabbit that lets you pick him up, clean his butt or whatever. Actually mine likes to be pet quite a lot. I spend quite a lot of time with him, when he allows me to be there (e.g. when he is not sleepy).

I started thinking I might have to get rid of him and it makes me so sad. Can anybody understand? I don't know what else I could do for him. I am well aware of the fact that I am not the only one having these problems and that every bunny has an individual personality. I would just love to see a sign that Tinto is comfortable with me and that his only interest isn't to find out how to escape.

Is free roaming an option? Can the cage be moved somewhere else? You've probably answered this but I can't remember. In the beginning when I was litter box training Bugs, I thought of finding him a new home. He also was a carpet chewer and that drove me nuts. Then, I again thought of rehoming him. I ended up covering every inch of my bedroom in blankets and cardboard. What I'm getting at is to not be discouraged. Bugs is now *perfectly* litterbox trained and I moved to another bedroom with wooden floors. He is so sweet and kisses me whenever he gets the chance. Now, you two may be at a very difficult spot in your relationship, but it will pass. Try picking him up more. Just for a few seconds and then give him a treat. Bugs used to be terrified of being picked up and now he will do anything to be picked up and get that treat. Try getting/making new toys. Hang baby rings and hanging toys from the spots he is chewing the bars at. I hope this helped :)

He likes you, he wants out to explore sure, but to be with you, around you. It sounds like he needs more exercise and more one-on-one with you, or someone in the home. Don't give up on him...try to make more time for out of the cage activities, you could try giving more toys to toss, run through, or jump on - when you are home! It's difficult, I have bunnies that jump high too, and it's hard to deal with and be worried about them hurting themselves if you aren't there. Making the sides higher isn't going to help. Unfortunately, you need to make a roof/ceiling/top for the cage. But he is chewing the bars because he wants out, wants attention, etc. He is bored and possibly lonely. Have you thought of bunny dating to see if there is a bun out there for him...it might help. Also, I can't remember, but I believe he is fixed, so a possible fixed friend could help this situation...

Escaping rabbits aren’t that fun, have two rabbits that will try to get out or under.

I often shout at them when I see them escaping or sneaking into a not bunny proofed room. I can just say bunnies love being with people and escaping it’s something they often do because they are curious and love to discover new areas. At least my bunnies love doing it. Can often see them binky in the house, while one of my outdoor buck often escape to snuggle up with a cat in the forest, he always scare the living daylights out of me, when I dosen’t find him. He’s a master escapee, finding new ways to break out from his pen and meeting up with a big grey cat...

He’s the same as my first rabbit, always sneaking out to snuggle up with his cat friend. So a friend might help, to keep him at his place.

Free roaming might help or letting him out to run a few hours in the house. So the excesses energy go away. If he’s a young bun it often will calm down with all the adventures the older they get.

Often rabbits want to stretch their leg early morning and sometime during the night.

He definitely likes you escaping are just to have fun.

Rabbits telling that they like you are that they can lay really relaxed and safe around you, meaning they trust their environment which means you did a great job. Kissing, rubbing you with their chin, seeking attention or just showing their trust towards you. Noticing rabbits behaviors aren’t the easiest.

I have two rabbits that chew bars and all rabbits have the habit to scratch my bedroom door. often they want out to play, so they can run around when it’s chewing the bars while door scratching they want attention or just sleep next to me while being in the cage.

I have lovely claw marks on my door while the rest of the house it’s safe.

Your bun sounds like an athlete with good problem solving skills!

I have one bun who was a real jumper and climber. I ended up putting shelves on the wall in a stair pattern so he could sit in the window, which was what he wanted.

Most of my buns have developed skills for getting over or around a fence. I use a plastic dog pen and then zip tie in place because one bun is very good a t slowly, slowly pushing the pen until he creates enough of a gap to get out and explore.

I put my buns inside their "condo" while I'm out of the house. Then I have all of one room bunny proofed so nobody gets hurt when they are out and about.

I have also found there's less escaping when I have a regular clicker training session with them. Even though they are mostly made of intestine, they do have active little minds! When we have those regular sessions, they are ready and waiting a t the training time and they do less of the jumping and climbing.

Your rabbit sounds fun and interesting!

I also have a good athlete and an escape artist. She can find her ways out of her X-pen that I could never think of. They are little stinkers sometimes. She is so small and I can't believe how high she can jump, she must have the strongest legs ever. My oldest bun was the same way, always escaping when she was a teenager. Now she is 7 yrs. old and very calm. Doesn't jump very high anymore, but still has lots of energy. So, your bun will grow out of it with age.
The others are all right...your bunny loves you and wants to explore and be with you. A friend may help...but, my little one (the jumper) is bonded with another and still escapes. She doesn't roam far though and always can find her way back into the pen because she panics if she can't see her mate. So, getting a friend might help, or be a partner in crime. :) Sounds like he is lonely and just wants some attention. Don't be discouraged. All of us have gone through this and it is just part of the "fun" of being a rabbit Mom. Rabbits will be Rabbits and that is all...just love them for what they are. I could never stay mad at my babies, one look into those big brown eyes and I just melt.

The comment about the rabbits on "You Tube"...I always think...where do those rabbits come from? They are so calm and let them just clip their nails?? My babies are NO WAY near the ones shown on those videos. But, they are mine and I love them for the stinker they are. It's all party of the charm of being a Rabbit Mom. Just embrace it.

Latest posts

Back