URGENT HELP PLEASE HELP!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miffythebun

Reaction score
Hi,

just found a wild rabbit in the middle of a country road (he was lying floped so got out to move him and he just stayed lying there so went to pick him up to move him and he was so docile- obviously very sick so I couldn’t leave him and drove him home. Carried him in an old jumper and didn’t touch him. He’s in the jumper in the garden. Don’t know what to do with him- vets or let him die peacefully out there?

What I am most (selfishly) concerned about is I have 2 buns upstairs and I don’t want them to become ill because of this wild rabbit. I didn’t touch him directly and I have washed my hands thoroughly and poorly bun is nowhere near my buns inside but is there any way I would spread any sort of disease from that bun to mine? Am so worried I don’t even want to go near my bunnies!!!

please please help

I would contact a local vet. There is a possibility this rabbit has RHD if you are in Europe or somewhere where rabbits can get rhd.

Then you need to be extremely careful, change your clothes(wash to disinfect), and disinfect yourself and d everything you've made contact with, with a disinfectant that will be effective against rhd

Are you in the US or somewhere else?

Update:

called local vet and they said to bring it in, it died in the car on the way unfortunately:( glad he died peacefully and warm and wasn’t struck in the middle of the road like he would have been if I left him..

Vets couldn’t examine him as he had died so just took him away and said disease could be passed through fleas or urine so clean everything!

My bun is vaccinated against Myxomatosis and RHD 1 I believe (but not 2!) but my sisters bun has not been vaccinated at all. I am in England (south west)! Sick bun was sick and not injured- very worried my buns are going to get sick they mean the world to me but I’ve been so careful I have made no direct contact to sick bun (picked up through fleecy jumper and then gloves) and washed my clothes and showered and scrubbed hands before even coming into the same room as my bunny but I’ve read it can be airborne- anyone know how true and to what extent rabbit diseases can be airborne?? Sick rabbit didn’t even come into the same house as my bunny’s and dirty clothes didn’t even go upstairs where my rabbits are!!
do you think they will be okay? They mean the absolute world to me i don’t think I’ll even sleep tonight!!
My rabbit lives in my room (he has a massive cage built into the bottom of my double bed) but cage is normally open to free roam him but have opted for keeping him in tonight but will sleep else where if being in the room will increase changed of disease?

Any suggestions welcome! But be kind I’m really shaken

I would phone your vet and ask advice as to how to properly disinfect everything. It's extremely important as rhd can even be spread by just walking on contaminated ground. Also would be a good idea to ask about getting your rabbit vaccinated against rhd2 and your sisters rabbit vaccinated. If you don't already have an experienced rabbit vet for your rabbits, check these lists in the links below.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-by-rabbit-owners/vets-owners-recommendations

I would phone your vet and ask advice as to how to properly disinfect everything. It's extremely important as rhd can even be spread by just walking on contaminated ground. Also would be a good idea to ask about getting your rabbit vaccinated against rhd2 and your sisters rabbit vaccinated. If you don't already have an experienced rabbit vet for your rabbits, check these lists in the links below.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ve...-by-rabbit-owners/vets-owners-recommendations

Hi thank you for your reply! I phoned and spoke to the vet in person to which they weren’t very useful in explain how to properly clean but I have used disinfectant on everything I have touched including my phone and shoes and coat and handles ect. I have washed all clothes and myself throughly!
I have emailed about 15 vets in my local area asking to get vaccinations for the both of them ASAP but no reply as of yet- it’s late and will phone in the morning if no reply from anyone!

Feel like I’ve done more harm then good I’m going to be up all night☹️

You were trying to help that poor rabbit. It's understandable, and was a kind thing for you to want to do. But with having rhd in your country, it's just something that every rabbit owner has to be very cautious and well informed about. Hopefully in the morning you can find a vet that is more informed and helpful.

F646D024-E516-49DF-939A-02DCC3637330.jpeg Another quick update on this incase anyone finds themselves in a similar situation:

I emailed 15 different vets in a panic last night and all cane back with the same conclusion that chances of bunnies contracting an illness Is low as
1- the bunny I tried to rescue could have died for 101 different reasons not just illness.
2- My bunny is vaccinated against 2/3 of the main illnesses
3- I washed and disinfected everything and the bunnies didn’t ever make contract

Since then I have disinfected the car and all my clothes and everything I touched the second time and my bunny has only just been allowed to free roam again tonight- he’s very happy!!

both buns seem well and I will phone vets when they actually open on Monday morning to discuss all vaccinations available for the both of them although at this point it seems like a waiting game as sick buns can’t be vaccinated, the vaccination doesn’t provide immunity for up to 10 days and I need to check my buns vaccination details (which are currently in my london flat where I won’t be until next weekend)

anyway long winded reply just to say I will leave this thread here unless god forbid anything awful happens!
Thanks all for replies :)

have uploaded bunny pics cause they’re too cute

Attachments

• 71D01356-DF59-479E-B4F3-7F3339694C4C.jpeg
    71D01356-DF59-479E-B4F3-7F3339694C4C.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
  • BE593D0D-1950-4C40-BE0F-9F573D052BDE.jpeg
    BE593D0D-1950-4C40-BE0F-9F573D052BDE.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 0715509F-291F-4350-9E01-3A938E8B88B5.jpeg
    0715509F-291F-4350-9E01-3A938E8B88B5.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 25697F8B-C6CC-4C1A-97D2-11F61B722F53.jpeg
    25697F8B-C6CC-4C1A-97D2-11F61B722F53.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 10
  • B848F71F-43B4-448D-BDF0-A037293C852B.jpeg
    B848F71F-43B4-448D-BDF0-A037293C852B.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 83D2E326-FE68-479C-9C56-57BC7B26B9F3.jpeg
    83D2E326-FE68-479C-9C56-57BC7B26B9F3.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 0CA2543E-15E2-4246-A2CE-38F7CE2E7903.jpeg
    0CA2543E-15E2-4246-A2CE-38F7CE2E7903.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 3D42C17D-029F-49F0-9CE8-AE41B7100CB0.jpeg
    3D42C17D-029F-49F0-9CE8-AE41B7100CB0.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 11
I'm glad everything seems to be ok and your buns are doing well. I think being extra cautious with how thoroughly you disinfected everything was a wise precaution, despite the vets not seeming overly concerned. The possibility of rhd isn't something to not take seriously, so I'm glad you have.

By the way, your bunnies are adorable! I especially like the pic of the one bun sacked out under the heater. So cute!

Latest posts

Back