URGENT HELP NEEDED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Bunno

Reaction score
Hey

I've made a post about this last year I think. THIS HAS PROGRESSED! My bunny has started to bite everyone so hard that it bleeds. At first it was nipping (made a post about that), but it has turned into hard biting. My mum got bit and now might have to see a doctor, because the wound is healing (if it is even healing) so slowly. I haven't seen my rabbit in 7 days. I will see him in 3 days. I had to give him to my grandparents for 10 days because I'm in Turkey. He has managed to bite my grandpa 2 times making his hand bleed. Both of my grandparents are scared of him. I'm so frustrated. I know this is my fault, I need some help fixing my mistakes though. The only person he doesn't bite is me. Please help me. I'm desperate.

It sounds like he's bonded to you and doesn't respond well to you being gone. It's likely distressing to him, the same as if you separated a bonded pair of rabbits. Only solutions I can see are for you to never leave him(I haven't been on a vacation for 8 years because of my rabbits), or find him a compatible bunny friend and bond them so he has company when you are gone. I can't say it will for sure solve the aggression problem, but it's the only thing that I can think of that might.

When does your rabbit bite? Some rabbits have cage aggression. They can be fine when approached outside of their cage, but attack when you put your hands in their territory. If a rabbit keeps this habit for a long time before being neutered, they sometimes keep the habit of biting. Buy some good leather gloves that your grandparents can were when they put their hands in the rabbit cage. Neutering is also a good idea, which may or may not work.

It sounds like he's bonded to you and doesn't respond well to you being gone. It's likely distressing to him, the same as if you separated a bonded pair of rabbits. Only solutions I can see are for you to never leave him(I haven't been on a vacation for 8 years because of my rabbits), or find him a compatible bunny friend and bond them so he has company when you are gone. I can't say it will for sure solve the aggression problem, but it's the only thing that I can think of that might.
I don't know if it's from being separated. This biting has been going on for A LOOONG time. It wasn't this hard before. It was still painful and left marks, but the wounds weren't bleeding after. The only person he doesn't bite is me. He hates my mum the most. When he sees her, he runs after her. Raises his tail in an aggressive manner and bites her ankles. At first it was only my mum, but now he bites everyone besides me. This could be related to some territorial issues. I'm really nervous. Because we will be getting him back tomorrow. He will be kept in my room for the summer. I've honestly lost all hope. Could this be because he is free roam?

When does your rabbit bite? Some rabbits have cage aggression. They can be fine when approached outside of their cage, but attack when you put your hands in their territory. If a rabbit keeps this habit for a long time before being neutered, they sometimes keep the habit of biting. Buy some good leather gloves that your grandparents can were when they put their hands in the rabbit cage. Neutering is also a good idea, which may or may not work.
He is already neutered. And the aggressive behaviour happens everywhere.

Maybe try with before your bunny bites anyone he get a treat, so make sure all your family have pellets on them.

A way to divert his attention but also make him feel safer with your family. Helping him to bond with them, he shouldn’t get a treat if he bites. But before biting or running up he can get a treat.

It will make him get a better experience. I know that a few bunnies will fight instead of running when they feel unsafe and scared. Maybe he have learned that if he attacks they will back away from him, making him feel a bit safer. Even though he feels anxious and scared.

At least I always handle scared/ aggressive bunnies with having my pockets filled with pellets, while I walk around.

Could this be because he is free roam?

No. If it was for this reason, then half of us on this forum would be having the same problem. He is definitely an exception with his behavior. In the 30+ years I've had rabbits, I have never had a rabbit bite me (except once when I placed my hand between a bonding gone wrong).

This biting has been going on for A LOOONG time. He hates my mum the most. When he sees her, he runs after her. Raises his tail in an aggressive manner and bites her ankles. At first it was only my mum, but now he bites everyone besides me.

If he is truly this aggressive and is drawing blood and chasing down your mum, then that is just unacceptable. If it were me, I would keep him confined in a roomy cage so that he cannot attack anyone. An exercise pen might be an option...set up in a way that provides a large area similar to the photo.

In my book, it is just not OK to have family members being attacked in this manner. If it has been going on for this long, it is not going to be an easy fix (if it even is fixable). I am frankly surprised your family has been as tolerant as they have been with him.

While he is confined to a roomy pen, you could work on the suggestions that others have offered and see if you can make progress with him.

upload_2019-6-22_16-11-26.png

I think that my mum also contributed to the problem a little. Every time that he bites her, she gives my bun a piece of bread (I'm not too fond of giving rabbits bread). My mum says that this doesn't contribute to the problem, and that rabbits are too dumb to understand and remember, that every time they bite they get a treat. I was thinking that some so called therapy with my bun and my mum. Like in a neutral and secure place. I could give my mum like parsley so she could feed my bun that (he loooves parsley). I don't know if that could work though.
About the play pen thingy... In my summer home Fred is going to be held in my room (quite a small one actually). So he will not hopefully bite anyone. But after summer is over we will move back to the city. And I don't know if a play pen is going to work because of the lack of space.

Can it also be trust issues? Every time that he is on my lap he relaxes and everyone can pet him. He sometimes even falls asleep. But once he is on the ground or anywhere besides my lap or I'm not petting him at the same time as someone wants to pet him, he bites.

Does your mom realize that she essentially trained your rabbit to bite her? Rabbit bites, gets a treat, and is essentially rewarded for biting. Same training as it would be like with a dog. You could train a dog to bite the same way. So yes, rabbits are intelligent enough to be trained to do things. like bite. Just no one usually wants to train their rabbit to bite them. If you are going to have your mom feed treats to retrain him to respond without biting, I would suggest making sure she is wearing thick gloves and protective clothing in case any biting occurs. And make sure the timing of giving treats doesn't coincide with rewarding any negative behaviors or you will be reinforcing those behaviors.

When he's on the floor he could be experiencing territorial insecurity, and that is why he's biting. Not sure how you can resolve that besides limiting his territory so he has one area that is just his own space, then eventually opening up your area to share with him. Maybe he's just the type of rabbit that doesn't respond well to having complete free roaming privileges because it is making him feel too insecure. So I would try as blue eyes suggested, set up a pen that is his own space, then gradually start letting him have time in yours and your family's space and see how that goes. Just make sure everyone is protected from biting while you are doing this experimenting.

Beautiful video I just needed that laugh thank you :))

*UPDATE*

So far (3 days) my bunny has completely changed... He is cuddly and lets everyone pet him. He even laid down next to my mum! He hasn't bitten anyone. He keeps lounging next to me... I usually wake up with him sleeping, cuddling the side if my pillow. He is adorable. He SO different. He is like before he was neutered... Just braver and bigger XD He's a thick boi... He has put on a little bit of weight... But since I'M gonna give him the right food, it's gonna be fine... This could all change tho... I'm enjoying it while I can...
IMG_20190626_115608.jpg IMG_20190627_004929.jpg

Latest posts

Back