Urgent help needed!!! Month old bunny fell from 5ft what should I do!! Please help asap!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnations

Reaction score
Jojo is Yr old and he fell, actually jumped unconsiderably from my shoulder which is about 5ft approx. And I guess, it may had affected his arm as hia been holding it and not using it he even jumps support from one arm..
I'm freaking out, I don't know what to do.. 😥😥😥😥😰☹️ Please please please help me out.
P. S I have checked his bone not sure if it's hurt or not. Please help!!!!

Since he is limping he will need to be taken to the vet so they can give him an x-ray and make sure nothing is broken. Is there any swelling on his arm, is he sitting in a hunched position, is there any tooth grinding? He is probably in pain and you do not want him to go into stasis.

From now on please do not hold him unless it is really necessary. If you need to move him from one area to another put him in a carrier and then move him. Rabbits are prey animals and most of them do not like being held. When you hold a rabbit and it wants down it will wiggle which may cause you to drop it, or for it to jump out of your arms (like what happened) and possibly be injured from the jump.

will do it for sure !!! actually, I have three of em', and i was thinking if i could put him in a separate area until he gets better. what do you suggest about the same. once again thanks a lot for replying and helping out ...

No problem! I would only split them up if you think that they will hurt him. Even then, don't put them in different rooms because that could break their bond. Separate them with a playpen so they can still smell and see each other. Just make sure when you take him to the vet you will need to bring the other 2. If you take him to the vet alone he will smell different, so when you take him back home and his friends might reject him.

Sorry to hear that your rabbit is injured,but I would add a couple of things to what has already been said.I think the advice to never carry him is,in my view,incorrect,since it means that you do not become proficient at doing this safely,and he does get used to the fact that it is not a nasty experience.Done carefully and securely,there is no problem,and he should learn that if you want to pick him up and carry him,you can and will do it confidently and safely.The main thing is to develop a safe pair of hands and never totally relax while carrying.Always use both hands,one to support,one to restrain,and feel the movements of the rabbit's muscles.With experience you know when he's tensing,and can act accordingly.Don't carry him on your shoulder at any time-I guess you've learned that lesson the hard way,and so has he! If you have him in an upright position on your chest,always support the rump and keep the other hand very firmly across the shoulder area.Don't let him creep up towards your shoulder or the same thing could happen again,with worse consequences.Rabbits have delicate bones,which are definately not made for high jumps and hard landings .I think the thing to bear in mind is that he needs to feel you are confident,and you need to make him at ease with handling.It takes time but it's worth it.Think,for instance,how traumatic gong to the vet's surgery would be if you,as a rabbit, had never been handled much,and suddenly found strangers restraining you.Chances are that the rabbit woukld try to jump off the table and risk more injury.It's about thinking about the worst that could happen and preventing it before it does.

Thank you for your great advice!! I haven't carried him from yesterday but he has been jumping and walking around pretty okay. Surely there's a little swelling (don't know how to deal with that) but he's doing well. And I guess his alright but I'm not fully sure as u know rabbits are good at hiding. So, anyway your advice does has given me a confidence and again thanks a lot 😁😊.

The swelling is nature's way of protecting and immobilising an injury site,so obviously he needs to be seen,given pain meds and treatment ASAP,but in the meantime just keep him quiet,calm and resting...Stress and fear are the main enemies with sensitive creatures like rabbits,so anything you can do to make him calm is good,including music (I find classsical on the radio very effective!) and talking to him.Your voice is so important,and he will pick up your mood from it.always try to avoid sudden sounds and sharp movements around him,as they are very good at picking up periphoral vision motion and will be ready to run-something he doen't need to be doing at the moment.Keep him eating and drinking,and warm.Good luck.

Thanks again, but here's another question right now Jojo is behaving super speedy as if he is finding, or Ina need of something real urgent. He just don't calm don't I don't know what to do can you help. It will be great if you do.. 😅

Rabbits will sometimes get super excited or have a burst of energy. It will wear off after a while. Just make sure he isn't hurting himself any worse while running around.

Thank you for your great advice!! I haven't carried him from yesterday but he has been jumping and walking around pretty okay. Surely there's a little swelling (don't know how to deal with that) but he's doing well. And I guess his alright but I'm not fully sure as u know rabbits are good at hiding.
Since there is swelling he needs to be taken to the vet. You don't want him to be in any pain because that can cause him to go into stasis. Please take him to the vet ASAP so he doesn't make the injury worse.

I'd certainly agree with the other member's advice,perhaps with the addition of confining him to a smaller area with some blankets or soft bedding and shelter so that he can relax.if he runs around too much now he could obviously make things worse without realising it.Comfort him and let him know he isn't alone.

If he's running around playing and doing what sounds like bunny 500's and not limping anymore, it doesn't sound like he got seriously injured or is in pain. If he was injured and in pain, he wouldn't run around like that. If he's relaxed, is playing, is eating normally, it sounds like if there actually is a little swelling, at the most he got a minor soft tissue injury which seems ok now by the sound of it.

I would just keep an eye on him. By your account it sounds like he's ok now, but if he is still limping around, doesn't want to put weight on the leg, won't move around, or stops eating or isn't eating very well, then I would definitely get him checked by an experienced rabbit vet right away.

If he's running around playing and doing what sounds like bunny 500's and not limping anymore, it doesn't sound like he got seriously injured or is in pain. If he was injured and in pain, he wouldn't run around like that. If he's relaxed, is playing, is eating normally, it sounds like if there actually is a little swelling, at the most he got a minor soft tissue injury which seems ok now by the sound of it.

I would just keep an eye on him. By your account it sounds like he's ok now, but if he is still limping around, doesn't want to put weight on the leg, won't move around, or stops eating or isn't eating very well, then I would definitely get him checked by an experienced rabbit vet right away.

Why would you not take this rabbit to the vet for an examination? Surely that would be the most prudent course of action...

If the bunny is running around doing bunny 500's, I don't see how it could possibly have a serious leg injury(that needs vet treatment) and still be able to or want to do play running, if it was still injured and in pain. A rabbit with a leg injury that is more than just a minor soft tissue injury, is not going to be up to or able to zip around running at full speed playing. Yes rabbits can hide their pain, but not that well. There will always be subtle clues a rabbit is in pain. Playing and doing bunny 500's tells me that it's very unlikely the rabbit is still in any pain and that it sustained more than a minor injury that has already resolved itself(soft tissue, bruising, etc).

You will notice that I did add that if the rabbit was still limping, having problems with the leg, or showing signs of pain(not wanting to eat), to get him into the vet right away.

Latest posts

Back