*URGENT HELP NEEDED* malocclusion questions 😢

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Hi all, bad news and a sad story. one of my very close breeding friends has a 7.5 week old Holland Lop who is showing signs of malocclusion (if you're reading this, hopefully you know what malocclusion is, but if not it is where the teeth are misaligned and require medical attention in order for the rabbit to be comfortable and continue eating normally). she asked me for advice as she is stressing out, but unfortunately I am not much help, as I have not had past experience with this issue! I was hoping some other breeders or rabbit owners who have experience with malocclusion could help?? This is quite urgent, so immediate responses would be greatly appreciated.

here are some questions we both have:
• What is the average cost / expense to keep the rabbit performing normally? wondering the average price of teeth filing and / or extraction.
•Do you recommend removing the teeth completely, or going in for regular (average is once per year apparently) teeth filing appointments?
•What is the best way to humanely help this rabbit if a new home cannot be found? Example: surrender to humane society, keep and take care of herself, or cull (which she is extremely against).

thank you all! my friend is currently in the process of setting up an account on Rabbit's Online, so once she gets the account approved I will hand this conversation over to her 😉

here is a picture of the baby bunnies teeth this afternoon... sorry, it may disturb some viewers. I asked her, and he does not seem in pain thankfully and he is eating perfectly fine so far. 🤞🤞🤞
IMG_20200517_182724.jpg

I called my local vet this morning, they said the trimming is $39 and should be completed every 3-4 months. Although it is expensive, I am not going to give up on this little fur baby! Is this price high or low for the teeth filing? I would like to compare it to see if I should continue searching for a different vet for my friend. More opinions would be greatly appreciated 🙏

I called my local vet this morning, they said the trimming is $39 and should be completed every 3-4 months. Although it is expensive, I am not going to give up on this little fur baby! Is this price high or low for the teeth filing? I would like to compare it to see if I should continue searching for a different vet for my friend. More opinions would be greatly appreciated 🙏
If incisors are misaligned they usually need to be burred every 3-4 weeks, not months. In those circumstances it is often best to have all incisors and peg teeth removed which is a routine operation for an experienced rabbit vet.

If incisors are misaligned they usually need to be burred every 3-4 weeks, not months. In those circumstances it is often best to have all incisors and peg teeth removed which is a routine operation for an experienced rabbit vet.
thank you for this! by removing the incisors, is he still able to eat, etc normally?

That sounds cheap. Make sure the vet is an experienced rabbit vet. If this is not done correctly, teeth will grow back and he will need another operation.
yes 👍 I have been using this vet for 5 years now...

that was an estimate she is going to get back to me with an exact amount this afternoon! that doesn't include medications I believe.

$39 is really good for a teeth trimming. I wouldn't jump right to considering extraction at this point. This is a young rabbit that is still growing. Which means there is a possibility that as it continues to grow that it could outgrow this problem. Not all cases of malocclusion in a young rabbit resolve this way, but some do.

I would do the teeth trimming for now, then wait to see what happens as the rabbit continues to grow, and just continue to monitor the teeth over the next few months. With any luck the teeth will correct themselves and it won't be an issue.

If the rabbit outgrows the problem then I would think it would still be ok for your friend to keep the bunny in her breeding program. If not then it should be kept strictly as a pet as there is no way to know if the problem is genetic or if the bunny pulled the teeth out of alignment chewing on something.

$39 is really good for a teeth trimming. I wouldn't jump right to considering extraction at this point. This is a young rabbit that is still growing. Which means there is a possibility that as it continues to grow that it could outgrow this problem. Not all cases of malocclusion in a young rabbit resolve this way, but some do.

I would do the teeth trimming for now, then wait to see what happens as the rabbit continues to grow, and just continue to monitor the teeth over the next few months. With any luck the teeth will correct themselves and it won't be an issue.

If the rabbit outgrows the problem then I would think it would still be ok for your friend to keep the bunny in her breeding program. If not then it should be kept strictly as a pet as there is no way to know if the problem is genetic or if the bunny pulled the teeth out of alignment chewing on something.
Thank you so much, I appreciate this in-depth info!! Hopefully it will correct itself, it is not too bad yet but it is noticable. This baby bunny is going to a home as strictly a pet. When should we schedule his exam / first filing for? thanks!!

When the teeth have grown to the point they start to impact the ability to eat normally or they grow long enough that they could start digging into the gums/mouth, that's when I would take the bun in for a trim.

Your friend may never even need to take the bun in for a trim if the teeth correct themselves before they start to overgrow. Right now they don't look too bad to me, just off center and maybe slight overgrowth. It'll be important to keep a close eye on the teeth, the top and bottom incisors and the peg teeth, to make sure of any overgrowth that occurs. And also closely monitor eating, drinking, and adequate weight gain.

When the teeth have grown to the point they start to impact the ability to eat normally or they grow long enough that they could start digging into the gums/mouth, that's when I would take the bun in for a trim.

Your friend may never even need to take the bun in for a trim if the teeth correct themselves before they start to overgrow. Right now they don't look too bad to me, just off center and maybe slight overgrowth. It'll be important to keep a close eye on the teeth, the top and bottom incisors and the peg teeth, to make sure of any overgrowth that occurs. And also closely monitor eating, drinking, and adequate weight gain.
thank you!! I took the bunny from her yesterday and thankfully found him a great pet home. he will be free roam and have regular vet check ups 💕💕

thank you!! I took the bunny from her yesterday and thankfully found him a great pet home. he will be free roam and have regular vet check ups 💕💕
The new owner knows about the teeth problems and what will be involved as it grows older? As a breeder I would not have petted it out, but that’s me.

The new owner knows about the teeth problems and what will be involved as it grows older? As a breeder I would not have petted it out, but that’s me.
Yes, they are very aware and signed a contract with me. What would you have done instead, cull?
I'm sorry, but my opinion is that no animal deserves that, especially if their issue / problem is treatable and they can provide happiness to a family. That is my standpoint, as a fellow breeder :)

Latest posts

Back