URGENT HELP Baytril needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitor

Reaction score
hello!

can you tell me please where to get ASAP Baytril 2.5%?

In Greece it is not available.

Can anyone buy for me and send it to me?

I have prescription but nobody ships here.

Thanks!

Where are you trying to get the prescription filled? an online vet pharmacy or at an office in Greece. I would think that you could get this drug from an on-line pharmacy ..generic name for it is enrofloxicin

If you cannot find Baytril (enrofloxacin), you might be able to use Cipro (ciprofloxacin) instead. Cipro is an extremely popular antibiotic and is used extensively worldwide. While it is marketed for use with people, it can be used with rabbits. However, Cipro has a much bigger issue with antibiotic resistance than Baytril---literally, some of the bacteria that Cipro was once hailed as the golden benchmark to destroy have developed resistance and Cipro can no longer control those infections at all.

If you are in desperate need of a wide spectrum antibiotic, several companies sell medications for fish, some of which are pharma grade. Doxy and TMP-SMX are both extensively used and those are very good antibiotics.

If you are in a situation where you cannot find Baytril but have access to a place that sells other meds, there are some other widespectrum options...
Doxycycline
Trimethoprim + sulfamethoxazole //OR// Trimethoprim + sulphadiazine
(obviously it is impossible to say definitively which antibiotics will work until the Vet performs a susceptibility test)

Should your rabbit be at super emergency level...i.e., he/she will likely die before an oral antibiotic kicks in, an IV antibiotic in the Cephalosporin family can be lifesaving.

Hope you can get meds. I don't know about Greece, but you cannot ship prescription drugs internationally to some countries. My wife was in Thailand and wanted me to ship her refills for her diabetes, thyroid, chlorestrol, etc pills. Didn't seem like a big deal to me, but when I went to the local Fed Ex to have them air shipped, I got a big dramatic NO. My wife had to go to a doctor in Thailand and get new prescriptions.

Unfortunately the company doesn't import it anymore. Can you buy and ship to me? You can ship via normal mail not fuzzy couriers. It's urgent!

Why would a vet give you a prescription for a drug you cannot get?
You vet should be prescribing you something you can actually get. There are plenty of other drugs out there that probably work better then baytril.

This is also sort of illegal...

can ship via normal mail not fuzzy couriers. It's urgent
This makes no sense either.... if its urgent why would you want it sent by normal mail?

Unfortunately the company doesn't import it anymore. Can you buy and ship to me? You can ship via normal mail not fuzzy couriers. It's urgent!

If your rabbit has a serious infection, it is almost certain that the rabbit will die before the package can arrive. When a rabbit gets a bacterial infection, they go down hill fast. If you used one of the premium 1 or 2 day international shipping services, you are looking at shipping prices that can easily cost over $100 USD, and still a delay that is likely too long.

The easy solution here is using a different antibiotic. Ask your Vet to perform a gram stain or suspectability testing to determine which antibiotic will work best for your needs. Most likely, TMP Sulfa (Bactrim) or Doxycycline will do just fine, and it costs a fraction of Baytril.

The longer the delay in administering an antibiotic, the less chance that rabbit has. If your rabbit has an active bacterial infection, you need to get an antibiotic into him/her ASAP.

Agree with others Greece you will need to get your vet to give you a prescription for another drug. My vet in New Zealand has given my rabbits a shot of Convenia for bite wounds that started looking infected. My other vet perscribed Azithromycin which is a childrens drug I had to get from the pharmacy here. No one is going to send you antibiotics overseas, it would be highly illegal and most people can't get them unless they themselves have a prescription.

Latest posts

Back