Urgent- found orange liquid from rabbit?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Bunnymama99

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

so this night I woke up two of my buns out of the cage. Somehow they managed to get out of the cage and decided to tip over my trash can when I was asleep!!I woke up too a full banana peel gone (it wasn’t even ripe), some tissue missing and with whatever in there chewed! I then proceeded to see this orange/pink color in their urine in the cage on the bedding. Before I fell asleep and even this entire day they were not peeing like that or the liquid wasn’t anywhere.. I checked their blanket too in my room and it had bright orange almost liquid on it as well????? Is this normal or should I be worried? I’m panicking right now because I’m scared of what they are or if they ate too much of it nor am I sure I had any other food in the trash can possibly? Is this normal for rabbits to be urinating. I also checked all over them to see maybe if they got hurt or got in something that was dyed but no :( I don’t know what to do or when they know they’ll be for sure okay past a certain amount of time. They are around 4-5 months old & so far they’re still acting the same..I fell asleep around 11pm and woke up around 3:45am..enough time for them to be out of the cage and in the trash. :( The only snack they had today was a organic strawberry they both shared and only had a little. Earlier in the week I think it was carrots/celery besides their spinach intake (they didn’t have any today only some parsley a little this morning too) throughout the day their poo was fine, still is & the pee was fine and normally yellow up until now and time being of them being out of the cage.

Attachments

Last edited:

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Plant pigments in veggies and fruit can alter a rabbits urine color. Usually orangish to orangish brown pee is the result. If it were blood it would usually be bright red, reddish/pink, or there will be streaks or spots of blood in the urine spot.

If you are seeing bright red urine or streaks of blood in the urine, your rabbits are showing other signs that could indicate a urinary problem like straining to urinate or dribbling urine causing a urine soaked bottom, or they are showing signs of pain such as lack of appetite, lethargy, staying in a hunched position and not wanting to move, and/or tooth grinding, then you will need to phone your vet right away. Or if you aren't sure if there's a problem or have any concerns, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.