Urgent: Bonding Dilemna!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troller

Reaction score
I have a dilemma. The 60 hour marathon has been inconclusive. The first day there was some fighting, but since then there's only been Conan running away from Xena but they eat, drink, poop near by each other and relax but don't really interact.. Xena even groomed him in the carrier when I went for a stress drive with them. Now I got to go to work in a few short hours and am stuck with 3 choices.

1.) Leave them in the temporary pen. This is my least favorite choice since the pen is rather flimsy and only hasn't been escaped from because I'm nearby to correct that. It's been home thought for the last few days so it might be a shock moving them again. Again though, not my favorite option.

2) Move them into the new cage I built that's a 8ft by 4 ft two floor condo. Now it's in the room they've been in but I thoroughly cleaned, laundered and vinegar and watered the area. The cage is constricted from their previous cage, bigger even, but is set up radically different, in a different area and again the room has been I hope sanitized. Of course moving them into it together might shock them and of course I'm not around.

3) Move them in the same cage I speak of, divided in half. This was to be the first choice originally if the marathon bond failed entirely, but since it hasn't conclusively I'm loathe to go back and separate them to have to start the process all over again. Of course this is the safest choice and the one I don't have to fret at work over.

So do I gamble? I know they won't kill each other alone, one accidental time they we're out together and only fur pulling and some scratches occurred. But I'm worried about an accidental major injury occurring. As for stressing them, The new cage whether divided or whole is a shock either way because it's not their old one. I'd be grateful for any timely advice since right now I only have a few hours to make the decision.

I reckon if you can divide your new cage in half that way one of the rabbits can't claim it as their own with their scent first. Who is instigating the fights? Is it your Doe? I know in terms of breeding they introduce the female to the buck house to prevent the female being territorial & attacking the male for being in hers? I know you arnt breeding them but its just an example. Bonding is one of those hard things that can be a long process & rather annoying at best but the best bet is taking it day by day & letting them out surpervised either on mutual ground, out in the back yard, in a bathroom etc Unfortunatly there is no overnight solution but it still can be done Otherwise get your Doe spayed & try that.

Thanks for responding SRonchi. Guess I got used to having a blog here and thought for a second I left this there. Both rabbits are fixed, I've been slow bonding for months now and can keep them together relatively scuffle free for 12 hours. This was the first time I made a dramatic push. The pet room is shared, and they we're cage switched daily. The new cage has the same rubber stall mats they we're on but I cleaned them this weekend and doused them in vinegar, as I did the whole room practically. So maybe they might recognize the room, maybe not.

Well I'm off to work and decided to go with the safest option. I guess I'm a wimp but I just didn't want to see my buns get hurt even if there was a small chance of it. Sadly I had very little time to finish the new enclosure, and while it's sturdy and everything is pretty sound the actual divider I put in was a bit haphazard. 1 NIC panel is all that's dividing these buns from each other but their Flemish and have a hard time poking their nose through the opening so i'm hoping that's enough until I get back home.

Ok sounds good, Yeah I didnt see your previous blog so I didn't see you were already on to everything I mentioned, sorry about that. Its better to be safe than sorry so great you went with the safest option. If your new bunny house has lots of room then you might be ok just letting them be together since they are very well acquainted already.. There will always be a more submissive bun & if you have enough room for him/her to retreat out of the annoyed buns way then it shouldnt get too heated resulting in big injuries, a little missing fur never hurt anyone in the meantime :) I have two bonded rabbit pairs & another 4 pairs I bonded previously. The 2 of mine were done at a younger age around 8-10wks. Another pair was a 1yr old neutered buck & his 8wk old daughter with no fuss at all & the others were from the same litter as I know it can be a challenge if they are older or maybe I just got lucky who knows.

Latest posts

Back