urgent advice needed - shedding dry skin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candice136

Reaction score
My rabbit Tommy is malting and we have just noticed he has white at the back of his neck there's only one circle of red on his neck what could it be does he need the vets it looks like dry flakes

Dry white flakes usually indicate fur mites. Fur loss with a well defined border on skin could be a fungal infection. Because rabbits often sit with their ears back over their neck (which holds in heat/moisture) a bacterial infection can develop. I would consider treating for fur mites due to the white flaking.

We have just brought a spray to kill mites for tommy hopefully it will get rid of them we have completely cleaned the whole of his cage out with weak detergent and keep brushing him to try and get the fur mites out

This is tommy with fur mites having a hop around in the garden
tommy with mites.jpg

Is this a good brush to be using

brush.jpg

Don't use that spray! Use only revolution, advantage, or ivermectin. The other ones are not safe. Rabbits groom all over themselves so they will ingest anything sprayed on them.

Where do they sell the advantage spray as he had only a few yesterday and now he's absolutely covered in them there all.behind his neck and what country do you live in thanks

Some pet stores will sell Advantage, I think, but Revolution is only through the vet. At least that's how it is in the US. In the UK, the brand names might be different as well. Advantage is imidacloprid and Revolution is selamectin. Ivermectin can be gotten in the US at farm supply stores but I don't personally recommend giving it without a vet's direct supervision because it can cause really bad reactions. Someone else may step in and tell you how to do that; or it may not be available in the UK.

The best and safest treatment for bunnies is Revolution!!! A few years ago a couple of our bunnies got mites from the shavings I used ONE time when I ran out of my usual ones :( my vet, who is very bunny savvy, treated them with Revolution.

Latest posts

Back