Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I need some advice urgently. I have three buns, all desexed and bonded. 2 females (1yr 6months) and 1 male (2yrs). In my neighbourhood, there’s another mini lop that needs rehoming. The owner has four bunnies, two girls and the two boys, none of which desexed. She’s trying to get rid of her 1yr old male, who was bought as a girl, as he is being bullied by the other older male and has become quite timid.
If I was to get him, he would be desexed before bonded with my buns. They have just got a new huge house too, so there’s enough space.
Am I risking it too much trying to add another bun to my three? Or should I just try and save the bun? I need advice urgently, as I’m worried getting the bun will possibly break my threes bond, but then at the same time, we have plenty of room

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

tl:dr - Bunny needs rehoming near me. Already have three bonded buns. Risk it to add another and help rehome, or leave my three to live together

If i were in your situation, i would not take the boy to be a part of the existing trio's bond.
It might work but it is also a risk if they don't.
If he doesn't "belong" into the group of four, then most likely you will have to rebond the trio to themselves, and they may not even do that.

If you really, really want to save that boy, then there might be a chance that he could live neutered and solo in a totally separate room from your main group. It might or might not disturb the trio. It isn't an easy task switching between solos and groups without getting them disturbed.

If you want to be on the extra safe side, try to find another place (ie a rabbit rescue or some private household) willing to take care of him long-term.

If i were in your situation, i would not take the boy to be a part of the existing trio's bond.
It might work but it is also a risk if they don't.
If he doesn't "belong" into the group of four, then most likely you will have to rebond the trio to themselves, and they may not even do that.

If you really, really want to save that boy, then there might be a chance that he could live neutered and solo in a totally separate room from your main group. It might or might not disturb the trio. It isn't an easy task switching between solos and groups without getting them disturbed.

If you want to be on the extra safe side, try to find another place (ie a rabbit rescue or some private household) willing to take care of him long-term.
Thank you so much for responding! My buns are outside buns (shed and run) so there isn’t really opportunity for another room to be used.

I’m in Australia, so bunnies aren’t the easiest animals to find good homes for, and rescues aren’t plentiful near me, as I live regionally.
I feel bad for this poor bun, as I have the space to take him, but only if he bonds with my existing buns. I am nervous that he will break my buns bonds.
I do think though, that if I want another bunny eventually, I might as well save this one now, rather than get a baby later on.
I’m quite conflicted on this, so I really appreciate your response

There's always going to be some risk trying to add a new bun into an existing bond. It could go perfectly, or it could cause problems. There's really no way to predict or know. You just have to decide for yourself, if it's a risk you want to take.

If you go ahead, just gauge their reaction to the smell of a new rabbit being around, the sound, eventually seeing him, and go from there on how quickly to proceed, once he's neutered and has the 6-8 weeks for hormones to fade. If they don't react positively at first, you may need to take the process very slowly to give them time to get used to a new rabbit being around.

Latest posts

Back