URGANT FRIEND SICK BUNNY!!!!! HELP HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutdabunny

Reaction score
Watch this pin!!! PLEASE HELP!!! EITHER COMMENT ON HER PIN OR COMMENT HERE AND I WILL COPY AND PASTE IT TO HER!!!!

Typical signs of GI issues. She should administer some baby gas drops immediately. (simethicone)

1-2cc per hour for 3 hours, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed

That's the first course of action.

I commented this 🔽 on Pinterest.
This is definitely an early stage of Stasis. You can tell because he is not able to get comfy, pressing his belly to the ground, and hunched up. Also, small poops and poops strung together are a sign of gut slowdown (which is Gi Stasis).
Have there been any diet changes, housing changes, etc? When was the last time he ate or drank something? Rabbits can not go 5-8 hours without eating.
You said he has a runny nose and eye boogers which may mean he has molar spurs. A vet will have to check to know for sure since the rabbit will need anesthesia in order to check.

Right now, he needs Infant Gas Drops. I suggest the equate brand from can Walmart: (2 Pack) Equate Infants Gas Relief Simethicone Drops, 1 fl oz - Walmart.com. He can have 1-2 ml every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours. If he is not back to running around and eating after the 2nd dose TAKE HIM TO A RABBIT-SAVVY VET as soon as possible or he could die! He could have a blockage. The vet will take an x-ray and if he does have a blockage, they will either suggest surgery to remove the blockage, or fluids to get the blockage moving. If he doesn't have a blockage they will give you Metoclopramide, which will get his gut moving again.

If you can not get gas drops, give him tummy massages:

I highly suggest removing his pellets and only offering him hay and water. Once he starts eating hay you can give him some leafy greens (but only leafy greens he has had before, nothing new), soak them in water for a minute or two, and give them to him wet so he gets water from them. I would keep him on a hay, veggie, and water diet for about a week after he gets better to keep this from happening again.

I hope he gets better! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Do you think he could also be hurt or sick and not eating is a side affect?

Not eating or lack of appetite, is always just a side effect of another problem that is causing pain and/or discomfort in the rabbit. It could be a minor stomach ache or gas pain from something they ate, or it could be a gut blockage, dental problems, an injury, organ failure, cancer... anything that can cause pain. A rabbit in pain is less inclined to want to eat. The more pain they are in, the less likely they will eat, and more likely you will also see other signs of pain like tooth grinding, shifting positions, sitting hunched and not wanting to move, eye squinting, sitting by their water bowl and holding their paws in the water, etc.

A lot of times a rabbit not eating temporarily, will just be a minor digestive upset and gas drops will often help resolve the issue within a few hours. But if it doesn't and the rabbit isn't feeling better after those few hours, hasn't eaten for more than 12-24 hours, they have bloat or diarrhea, and/or their condition is deteriorating and they are getting worse, then they need to be taken to the vet immediately, as there is likely something more serious causing the lack of appetite.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Gastrointestinal_stasis

Don't wait. Take her to a good vet now. She needs pain meds, gut mobility drugs, critical care syringe feeding, and hot water bottles wrapped in towels. Feel her temperature around the ears. IMPORTANT: Get an X-ray to make sure there is no blockage. She also would benefit from an IV line or sucutaneous injection for hydration. You can't just wait and see. It goes downhill faster than you think it will.

Last edited:
Trust me, you don't have 24 hours to wait and see if there is an improvement. Sometimes but not always.

Latest posts

Back