Upper East coast slammed by Winter storms - is it as bad as being reported?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Would love to hear from you all that are dealing with the atrocious weather that I read about daily on CNN. How are you handling driving, power outages and critter care?

Saw a story today of a new Mother whose cows escaped and she had to put her new-born down and run out to get them back and was racing through thigh-high snow?:shock:

The photos are beautiful, but scary.

Where I am, we're expecting a food. But the snow fall itself is scary because of the driving and such. I work at a chain pet store (you can guess which one), and it was PACKED today. Very busy with people stocking up on pet food.

How long do you expect to be snowed in for (sounds like your still driving about?) Sounds really bad to us on the West coast (well those of us in Los Angeles - anything cold makes us worried).. Sending warm wishes to you and yours.

keep seeing pics of the snow in washington on our bbc news channel. doesnt look very pleasant - their correspondent has been one of those without power for days..

warm wishes to anybun affected:hug:

Well we are getting hammered now with snow, we got 1 1/2 feet of snow just a few days ago and now we are expected to get 1 1/2 to 2 feet of snow, then there is another storm coming on Monday with accumalating snow but they arent sayin how much,lol. So far i haven had any power outages , THANK GOD!!!!! IF we do we have generators that we will use, and i have a lil electric heater that i hope will work for aleast the room we are in,lol. As far as the rabbits i will put blankets and fleece around there cages so there are no drafts. plus if we have power outage we will have to all dress warmly,lol. I would not go to a shelter because most shelters dont take animals and i am not going anywhere without them so we will all just stick it out together. I cant get any pics because my camera is broke!!!!!!! hubby got home at 12 so that is good, the kids are off today and i only imagine that they will not be in tommorrow too. I went food shopping the other day so we are good on rabbit veggies and food for the other kids, i have stuff for hot chocolate and choc chip cookies too!!!!!! As long as we have electricty i will be good. I have well water so if the electric goes i will not have any water for cooking or drinking or showers and i will not be able to flush the toilet!!!!!! lol

Everything around us is closed down, but our hardy little town keeps on going and kept schools open. I don't feel well, so I'm cancelling scouts tonight.

Our rabbitry is heated and easily accessible, so bunns are comfy, warm, well fed, cages clean, and they have a continual supply of fresh water.

Here in West Central Ohio we have only been given 20 inches total of snowfall and another storm is to hit the end of the weekend. Our big problem here isn't the snowfall but the wind that came with this storm. Our country roads have become impassable at times and our county has been on a Snow Emergancy Level since Friday morning.

For those not familiar with Snow Emergancy Levels:

LEVEL 1: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads are also icy. Drive very cautiously.

LEVEL 2: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roadways. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work.

LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be out during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. However, those traveling on the roadways may subject themselves to prosecution.

On Friday within 3 1/2 hours we went from Level 1, Level 2 and then Level 3 which lasted until Sunday at 10:30 a.m. We degraded to a Level 2 then Level 1 Sunday night which lasted until yesterday when we went back to a Level 2 at 11 am. By last night at 9:30 we were back on a Level3and degraded to Level 2 at 2 pm.The county will beput back on a Level 3at 10 pm if notbefore.

Our countyschools do notgo to school on anysort ofsnow emergancy level so schools have been closed since Friday. Needless to say, we are not hardy like Pam's town!

The main thing though is last weekend plans were cancelled because of the weather and if we don't watch it so could this weekend. :(

Cabin Fever!!! :biggrin2:

Here in NJ it is still snowing hard. May have to get off quickly as the power keeps threatening to go out again. After getting slammed on Saturday we got slammed again. I went out around noon as there was a lull in the storm. Miscalculated on the amount of greens I needed as I now have a new foster named Peter. More on him later in the blog section. The roads were okay getting to the store but it quickly changed on the way back. I doubt I will be going in to work tomorrow.

Yep it's still coming down hard in NJ. I'm also stuck that I can't get home!!!:X Staying at a hotel near work and not happy about it but at least I'm not on the road.

I live in Bristow, Va we have been now slammed with two snowstorms. our schools have been closed since friday. I stocked up on food in between each storm..thankfully no power loss. My male rabbit is spoiled and has his own space heater during the day. the winds hit a high of 60 miles per hour today!(which caused blizzard conditions). we are bunkered in :)

The news reports I get in Los Angeles is that this storm is "The Storm Of The Century" in the upper east coast region.. looks bad from the photos and video. How many have seen this before? Today they said on CNN it hasn't been this bad in that region since the late 1800's but then reading the comments on-line individuals who have lived there their entire lives and in the 40's, said they remember similiar conditions when they were kids.

Global warming or just cyclical weather?

PS: Yngmea - love that your bun has his/her own space-heater ..

I'm from the Ohio snowbelt, so no stranger to getting "belted" with snow. In 1996, there was a huge snowstorm that dumped 70 inches over the period of several days in our area.

However, DC usually isn't hit with snow like it's getting now. My husband said that it's God's wrath on those who perpetuated the global warming hoax.

I've seen photos of the area from the 40's with snow along the roads piled about 10 feet high!

At this point, I'm not feeling well, and rather sick of the snow. We had a lot of snow again last night - the boys are going to be shoveling all morning again . . .

Let's just say the last time all planes were grounded in this region was 9/11. When International flights are cancelled due to weather than you know it's SEVERE! It finally stopped and I'm reading all the amount of snow the regions in NJ were hit with. Surprisingly it's low to what I would have expected. Think the most was 18 inches.

I just got back from orlando this morn and was following the weather reports for up north, I really felt for all you guys braving what were really bad storms, to the extent that soe areas were facing evacuation, that must be scary. I know it must be bad a when we flew out yesterday, as we hit the northern coasts it got real bumpy and we had to redirect right off the coasts to escape it. Again my heart goes out to all that are stuck in it and I can only hope that there will be a end to it all soon.

JadeIcing wrote:
Lord my state more or less shut down... 10:41pm we have maybe 2inches! Massive call outs for no reason.

lol!!!!!!!!!

The kids have off today again which is ok cause the snow didnt stop till last night so lots of people still digging out. We have mounds and mounds of snow in some spots it is up to my chest,lol. I think it is beautiful out but of course it is going to be horrible when it starts melting,lol. I am going to have mud coming out of my ears,lol. It was a lil shaky there for a lil cause the power kept flickering off and on, i thought for sure we were going to loose it, but we didnt , thank god,lol

At least you guys get your schools closed. We have a superintendant that seems to think busses are magic vehicles that can miraculously get through snow and ice and get the kids to school. We have no say so over whether or not school is open and if its open we drive. It can be VERY scary sometimes.

Latest posts

Back