Update on Herbie who died after (not from) vaccine.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niomi

Reaction score
Herbie was given the RHDV2 vaccine on October 31st and died two weeks later. I just received results from his necropcy, and Herbie died from a cancerous tumor, a condition called Thymoma. Herbie was checked out by his vet a couple of months before, and had a good health report. Because of the size of the tumor, it is believed that Herbie would have died with or without the vaccine. Thymoma is a somewhat rare condition for rabbits, so it is a surprise to me that Herbie is my second rabbit that died from Thymoma this year. Herbie did not have bulging eyes that can be caused by Thymoma like Harley had. Herbie was one month away from his 8th birthday when he died, and Harley was one month away from his 12th birthday when he died.

So sorry for both of your losses. Hugs. So is it safe to vaccinate by bun from the virus?

So sorry for both of your losses. Hugs. So is it safe to vaccinate by bun from the virus?
Vaccine complications are rare. Ask your vet about getting the vaccine if your rabbit has a preexisting condition. I took Herbie to a clinic where they were doing a study on the vaccine. That is why I contacted them when my Herbie died. Herbie was not diagnosed with Thymoma when he was given the shot. He appeared to be a healthy rabbit. It is unknown if the vaccine had an affect on his Thymoma, but Thymoma was his cause of his death. It is unknown if he would have lived longer without the vaccine, but the killer in his body was Thymoma.

Thank you for your kind words.

Latest posts

Back