Update on Freya: I'm done arguing with her about it!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Freya is now 9 months old. As some of you might recall, we bought her in July at the State Fair. She had been eating Muesli. We moved her over to young rabbit pellets, and as she got a little older, adult rabbit pellets and leafy greens. We've tried a lot of different greens and she's generally been receptive to all of them, but her clear favorites, in no order, are, romaine, bok choy, dandelion, cilantro, and mint; so we pretty much just stick to those day in and day out. Also as some of you might recall, we had a tough start to getting her to eat hay (having tried different types, always making sure it was fresh and not brown, changing it out every day), but eventually she started to eat it, although never as much as she should. We tried hay in one corner of the litter box, hay in a hay rack, hay in a hay manger, hay in a dish, hay on a plate, hay on the floor, in all sorts of different positions and configurations. The young lady never took to it as she should have, and as things stand now, she's completely given up on it as of a couple of months ago, other than maybe a munch here and there. I still give it to her fresh every day, but it's largely uneaten, throw around, and pooped in. I'm done arguing with her and worrying about it. She's clearly alive, and clearly well, without eating what the books and articles say she should. She has tons and tons of good, solid poops. I stressed about this for a long time, but I think I need to give myself a break. I can't after all force it down her throat. She seems to be just fine with her pellets and salads, as well as some treats. Have it your way, kid.

I had a rabbit that didn't eat hay. I would always put some in his litter box, just in case he would change his mind. Eventually he did eat hay, but it took years. Hay is important for dental health. Chewing hay wears down their teeth and helps keep them the proper length. My rabbit had problems with his teeth and I would have to bring him to the vet a few times a year for a teeth trim. He was picked up as a stray, and I believe that he was inbreed, which also contributed to his teeth problems.

None of mine eat hay (theyre all mini satins, except for a couple token himalayans - I only give hay during stressful situations such as car trips > 5 hours or weaning). As long as they have a quality diet they don't need hay; teeth issues are almost always genetic above anything else. I've got one that's eaten the same brand of pellets for eleven years and never once had any health issues. Especially if your rabbit is from show rabbit lines; those lines are especially bred to do well on just pellets.

There's no one correct diet for rabbits; whatever works for your rabbit works for your rabbit. I see a lot of people online and on this forum try to push for one specific diet that they think everybody should feed, but every animal is different. Don't let anybody make you feel bad for listening to your rabbit and changing its diet accordingly.

None of mine eat hay (theyre all mini satins, except for a couple token himalayans - I only give hay during stressful situations such as car trips > 5 hours or weaning). As long as they have a quality diet they don't need hay; teeth issues are almost always genetic above anything else. I've got one that's eaten the same brand of pellets for eleven years and never once had any health issues. Especially if your rabbit is from show rabbit lines; those lines are especially bred to do well on just pellets.

There's no one correct diet for rabbits; whatever works for your rabbit works for your rabbit. I see a lot of people online and on this forum try to push for one specific diet that they think everybody should feed, but every animal is different. Don't let anybody make you feel bad for listening to your rabbit and changing its diet accordingly.
My girl is a Mini Satin who comes from a line of show rabbits too! I received her pedigree when I bought her.

Latest posts

Back