Update on Fly-strike healing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunRabit

Reaction score
Oreo had gotten fly-strike awhile back and has been going through the long process of healing. She still has a wound on her back but that is healing up nicely. But I went away for a day and a night and in that time she got a bump on her inner leg, right next to a small wound that is healing. So I figured I would ask on the next vet visit which was last Wednesday. He told me we could wait it out to see or we can go into surgery the next day. So I decided the best thing to do would be to go into surgery and not risk getting something worse.

The surgery went well, and it turns out it was an abscess which is a bump filled with puss. And if left it would cause damage. But now she is home safe and sound. She has to go back to the vet every 3 days though. She needs the wound’s “bandage” removed and replaced every third day. She is susceptible to infection and that could be really back and cause more problems and cost more money than it has already been. I don’t even know how I’ll pay for this round but I am definitely going to find a way to. She has a cone on right now so she doesn’t lick the wound.
79B23BC4-A28B-43F3-9ECD-A0961B5B7FAC.jpeg
He mate Spot is missing her because the vet said to keep them apart if you aren’t watching them so he doesn’t lick the wound either. Here’s him being silly.
50652CD5-228F-4330-AD5D-A830E33F86EF.jpeg
Also I was looking through my old stuff and found the cone I used on my bunny Flapjack and I am so sad but look at this size comparison.
29E77E14-0339-4503-8375-CF55217654F3.jpeg DA828C04-55FA-40F1-B430-4A3443C1D58E.jpeg
Spot is so tiny compared to how Flapjack was. (Spot isn't the one who had surgery I just put the cone on him to see the difference).

But I do have a question. Has anyone every had this done before? Has there been any problems or has it gone smoothly? I’m really worried I’m going to lose her after I spent so much time effort and money trying to get her better. She has gone through GI-Stasis among this too and I just want her to get better and live a healthy happy rest of her life, without any more bad vet visits

Good to hear she's getting better I am so scared of reading forum this evening I'd better go and clean my cages!

Some how she got off her cone and she pulled out the bandage and I don’t know how long she’s been licking it
DC2C2291-D3DF-4D23-B5B0-DA3BA701769A.jpeg
There are absolutely no hours today and I will not go to the one vet that’s open today. So i took tape and taped a gauze to it and put a different cone on her. At least until tomorrow when I can call and make a new appointment

Sorry to hear she got that cone off! Rabbits are so curious, and seem to have a way of getting things off of them, on them, and some can fit anywhere... You did a great job handling the situations your bunny has been through. Hopefully shes on a smooth way to recovery...

Its been awhile and a crazy few months but Oreo is healed!! She is completely 100% all healed. The only problem is she is still skittish about being touched where the wound was which is sad

Its been awhile and a crazy few months but Oreo is healed!! She is completely 100% all healed. The only problem is she is still skittish about being touched where the wound was which is sad
That will take time to regain the trust but I am so glad she is better!

Latest posts

Back