Update an Cinder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claraD

Reaction score
Cinder hasn't been doing so well. She keeps going into these trances where her eyes bulge, she breathes heavy and through her mouth, and she balls up. Idk what to do and she still won't eat. She barely will drink her water. I need help fast. Please comment if u have anything.

Mouth breathing and bulging eyes are symptoms of very serious illness. Mouth breathing from a rabbit is essentially an emergency situation. You really need to get her to a rabbit savvy vet right away if you want to have any chance of saving her. I'm not sure if the vet will be able to cure whatever is going on at this point, but they can hopefully at least give her meds to help her feel more comfortable and possibly get her eating better on her own again.

Those symptoms make me think there might be something going on with her heart or possibly even a thymoma. So both extremely serious health conditions.

Until she can be seen by a vet(which needs to be by tomorrow, tell them it's an emergency), I would want to make sure she was getting some food into her. I would make a pellet mush with warm water and syringe feed about 3-4cc/per lb of body weight every 4 hours. Also syringe water. Syringe feeding does need to be done carefully and slowly, giving the rabbit time to chew and swallow little bits at a time, so you don't risk the contents being aspirated. If a rabbit won't swallow the food and just sits with it in their mouth and lets it drip out of their mouth, I wouldn't continue the syringe feeding, as this usually means the rabbit is at a critical stage and may not make it. This video shows how to syringe feed with critical care mix. A pellet mush will be a little bit harder and may clog the syringe tip. If so the tip can be cut off so the opening is larger, or use a larger tip feeding syringe.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg[/ame]

Im making an appointment today. Thank u all so much. I really hope it isn't as serious.

Balling up and a transe like state can just be attributed to pain - even, a rabbit feeling a bit gassy will act like that because of the stomach ache. On the other hand breathing hard and eyes bulging are definitely a separate issue, probably the underlaying problem which caused the slow guts you've been noticing. It's hard to make a diagnosis with only a few info and not seeing the rabbit but, like the other said, it definitely sound like an issue which can't wait at all. If you haven't done so already, call the vet and really insist of seeing someone NOW saying it's an absolute emergency. A lot of problems can be cured if they are taken early enough, but for a rabbit, even 12h is a long time and can make a lot of difference in the recovery (that's why living with long-eared friends is so stressful, you can't really shrug off signs that something is not normal and see how it evolves because by the time the problem is really clear the situation is often dire). I hope Cinder's problem is not too serious and that she recovers quickly!

Im sorry to inform u all that cinder didn't make it and died last night, I believe it was because of a heart issue as that's what my vet told me when i called him this morning. Thank u for all your help though and I wish the best of luck and love to u and all your furry babies♥️

Latest posts

Back