Unspayed sisters humping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
My new foster bun, Otis (I’m calling them that as I don’t know whether I’ll be keeping them or rehoming them), has just been caught humping and nipping her sister, twice now. She’s probably done it for a long time without me seeing her. I don’t know whether to separate them, stop her or allow them to do it, what do you think?

winnie doesn’t fight back but she does they to move. I’ll upload a video in a minute

They will be spayed soon, but I’d like to know what to do for now

Yeah thank you. Awe I feel sad doing that but it makes sense. Winnie already has chips in her ears from where I imagine they had gotten in fights in the past

Attachments

• 7D2B0E19-B91C-49AA-A1C1-83951FA89DB4.jpeg
    7D2B0E19-B91C-49AA-A1C1-83951FA89DB4.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 5
Does this seem separated enough? Or should I move them to different rooms?

Attachments

• CB081A43-6588-4CD1-8823-09A7ABF87B8D.jpeg
    CB081A43-6588-4CD1-8823-09A7ABF87B8D.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 10
Some humping is to be expected, and normal social behaviour. For me that alone is no reason to seperate if I intend to keep the does together. That's a mild way how they sort out their hierachy. Imo important things are that none of the rabbits is overly stressed all the time, that the characters match (two dominant does can be a problem), and that they have places where they can get out of each others eyes when they feel like it.

If they are going to be seperated anyway this time is as good as any, if they are meant to stay together and that is all there is (no chasing, circling and tufts of hair flying) I personally, with the experience I have (keeping pairs of intact does for 8 years now), I wouldn't. rabbits aren't always just cuddly, peaceful and adorable, they are social animals.

Yeah thank you. Awe I feel sad doing that but it makes sense. Winnie already has chips in her ears from where I imagine they had gotten in fights in the past
Definitely keep them separated until spayed if one of them is getting their ears bitten and damaged by the other one. That may damage a potential bond and it just isn't good for the bunny because it could lead to infection and would be very painful.

For your setup, I know some people recommend putting enough of a barrier to make sure the bunnies can't bite each other through the bars. Like an inch or two separation. If you don't have anything like that, you can probably just monitor to make sure that doesn't happen and add to it if you witness anything. @JBun will probably know for sure.

Some humping is to be expected, and normal social behaviour. For me that alone is no reason to seperate if I intend to keep the does together. That's a mild way how they sort out their hierachy. Imo important things are that none of the rabbits is overly stressed all the time, that the characters match (two dominant does can be a problem), and that they have places where they can get out of each others eyes when they feel like it.

If they are going to be seperated anyway this time is as good as any, if they are meant to stay together and that is all there is (no chasing, circling and tufts of hair flying) I personally, with the experience I have (keeping pairs of intact does for 8 years now), I wouldn't. rabbits aren't always just cuddly, peaceful and adorable, they are social animals.
Thank you. Yeah, I know that it wasn’t too bad, but I’m not able to watch them as well as I would if they were indoors so would rather be safer than sorry.

Is it possible to allow them to be together during the day while I’m watching them and only separate at night? I’ve only had them since Friday, and they’ve been together their whole lives (however long that is), and love that they’re a *at least mostly* bonded pair.

Definitely keep them separated until spayed if one of them is getting their ears bitten and damaged by the other one. That may damage a potential bond and it just isn't good for the bunny because it could lead to infection and would be very painful.

For your setup, I know some people recommend putting enough of a barrier to make sure the bunnies can't bite each other through the bars. Like an inch or two separation. If you don't have anything like that, you can probably just monitor to make sure that doesn't happen and add to it if you witness anything. @JBun will probably know for sure.
Thank you! I’d probably have to get another pen to do that, so hopefully it’ll work out. Hoping to have their spay booked in for ASAP, as I don’t want them to be separate for long 😅

If they aren't trying to bite each other or showing aggression through the bars, then that should be fine and may actually be more helpful for them to at least still have some contact with each other, since they do seem to still like each other.

If they are getting along during 'playtime' and not showing signs of aggression, and you can monitor them during this time, then it would seem ok to me. But if the one doe is pestering the other one too much making it so this playtime isn't enjoyable at all, and especially if the other doe seems to be getting fed up or irritated with the pestering, or if the doe seems to be getting timid or scared of the dominant doe, then I wouldn't continue to try and let them have time together.

If they aren't trying to bite each other or showing aggression through the bars, then that should be fine and may actually be more helpful for them to at least still have some contact with each other, since they do seem to still like each other.

If they are getting along during 'playtime' and not showing signs of aggression, and you can monitor them during this time, then it would seem ok to me. But if the one doe is pestering the other one too much making it so this playtime isn't enjoyable at all, and especially if the other doe seems to be getting fed up or irritated with the pestering, or if the doe seems to be getting timid or scared of the dominant doe, then I wouldn't continue to try and let them have time together.
Thank you so much. Great, that sounds like a plan.

Latest posts

Back