Unspayed Rabbit - No Rabbit-Savvy Vet in Area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im in a bit of a situation here, I have been planning to get my rabbit spayed ever since I got her, due to everything I read about the risks of reproductive cancer. The problem is I got her from a breeder in Jan 2019 she is just under 2 years old and time is ticking to get it done, but I live in a small town where there isnt very likely to be rabbit-savvy vet, just cat and dog vets and an animal hospital. I did look it up and there looks to be a vet that treats rabbits but I dont know if I trust them enough to do a surgery like this. I cant really go out of town as I dont drive and that could be stressful to my bunny. I really want her to live to her full potential and I hate knowing theres possibly nothing I can do to not cut her life in half and enjoy the maximum amount of time I could have with her, none of my guinea pigs lived very long and I really dont want that to happen with my bun. What can I do? Im really worried about her health.

First of all, what you read quite likely is vastly exaggerated as an deadbeat argument to get animals spayed and neutered. It is specific to the english speaking world since there were quite successful campaigns in the US during the last decades to get dogs and cats neutered, and it really reduced the number of animals in shelters. But the campaign got projected on everything else too, by people with good intentions, and by repeating and exaggerating that is inherent to internet campaigns the facts got somewhat distorted. Actually, a lot.

Well, to start with - there are very little real facts. One is that the 80% of female rabbits have cancer at 3 years is overblown nonsense.

The kernel of truth here is that rabbits actually have a rather high probability of uterine cancer or abnormalities, but after all I read my guess is more in the range of 20-30% in their lifetime, about roughly twice of that of humans (at the current rate we will have caught up in about 50 years) - which is still rather high and a very good reason to spay does.
There are quite some other good reasons to spay, like false pregnancies, mood swings, inconsistant litter habbits and so on.

So, no need to panic right now.
There are lists of rabbit savvy vets, take your time. It may help to narrow down your location somewhat for people to point out a specific vet in your genberal area.

EDIT: Lol, another HTF

Latest posts

Back