Unfriendly pet bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennbsc

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a 7 month old Dutch Rabbit. He does not like to be held and he bites/scratches and even grunts at me. He used to like having his head scratched (he would teeth purr) but now I can't get him to teeth purr at all.
Any suggestions on how to better bond with him? He is neutered btw and we have had him since January. He doesn't even like to be held while eating carrots or parsley.
He is ok with you petting him while he is in his cage, he just doesn't like to be held.
Any help would be appreciated!!
:rabbithop

Last edited:
If he is aggressive to you, you can hold down his head and make a noise like a rabbit in pain. (High pitched screech). This has worked for me.

His behavior sounds territorial. Do you reach into his cage when he is inside? Rabbits like to have their own personal space and if you reach into it a lot he will get mad.

The only time we reach into his cage is if we go to feed him or if we go to pick him up to let him out of his cage. Most times though we just open his cage door and he comes out on his own.
While he is free in the house, he runs and jumps and does a lot of binkies and he will just stretch out and lay down.
We have started doing a "ecckkk" scream each time he bites. Us humans can be sitting on the floor and he'll come up and bite us and we weren't even bothering him....my husband especially.
I would love if I could get him to teeth purr again...he even used to give us kisses, but none of that in a long time.

Generally rabbit don't like to be held, but there are rabbits that love to cuddle. The only time I get to hold my bunnies is during grooming and they hate me afterwards for hours. However, when I sit on the floor, they all come over and nudge me for a bunny massage, but picking up is a big big no no. If your relationship with your bunny is not improving, try not picking him up again until he trusts you. The easiest way to win a buns love is with food, but not while sitting in your lap. Refill his pellets and water when he is out playing. That's his home you're cleaning and he doesn't like anyone in there except him.

To a rabbits point of view, that short pick up would be like you in a rollercoaster going straight up. Not so fun for the buns. I was reading a blog where they tell you to put your chin on the floor and looking around. You don't see much and you get an idea of what they actually see everyday.

I know exactly how you feel. I really think its the breed , Dutch. My dutch boy is the same way. He nips me all of the time and refuses to have his nails trimmed or to be combed. But, we seem to bond over playing more, which helps him get closer to me. He really likes this one toy (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DS36J4M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) that if I shake it, or roll it on the round, he will pick it up and toss it. Its kinda the game we play , along with me running after him trying to pick him up. You just have to find a way to bond with him , other then petting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back