Unformed cecotropes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjai

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've noticed latelythat Phattie is leaving one or two clumps of unformed cecotropes aboutevery other day. I've done some reading and really can'tfigure out why this is happening. She's leaving plenty ofnormal poops as well, and she's acting completely normal. Igive her unlimited timothy hay, about 3 cups of greens each day, oneslice of apple at night, and while she has access to a shallow bowl ofpellets she only eats about 2 tablespoons a day, sometimesless. They're Hartz pellets, and I bought some Mazuri pelletsto start giving her, but I noticed this problem and didn't want to addtrying a new food to the mix until I got this sorted out. Shedoesn't seem to have any of the conditions I've read about thatgenerally cause this...any ideas?

Both Hartz and Mazuri are pretty lowquality. I know Mazuri has some treats mixed in, and sometypes of Hartz do. Those treats tend to be high in carbs andsugar and many rabbits can't tolerate the amount that's mixed with thepellets. Also, they're both alfalfa pellets which do causececotrope problems in some buns due to the higher protein.

Try switching to a high fiber, low protein timothy pellet like KayteeTimothy Complete or Oxbow Bunny Basics/T. Also, remove alltreats and sugary foods such as apples or big chunks ofcarrot. This usually helps most buns. If she stillhas problems it would be a good idea to bring a sample in for your vetto test. If the diet changes do help, you can experiment withsmall amounts of treats like fruit and oats to see if they causeproblems or not. Then you'll know what you can use.

It's not diarrhea, is it? That's a different and very serious issue.

My Toby has tummy issues and kept leaving mushies, too. I hadto take awayhis carbs (oats, shredded wheat) and drasticallyreduce his veggies and fruit. He can't tolerate lettuce ofany kind. He only gets parsley and cilantro now.

Also, check the protein content of the pellets. If it's too high, it could be contributing to the problem.

You can switch to a better pellet, just do it very gradually, adding in a bit more each day over several weeks time.

Thanks for the tip on the Mazuri. Ithas a way lower protein and way higher fiber content than the Hartz, soI thought it would be better for her. I'll go to another feedstore near me to look for something better.

Gonna be one mad Phattie tonight--no apples are gonna make for one grumpy bunn!;)

Oh, I thought they were all pretty similar depend on the rabbits diet lol.

Nope, theres a difference. the cecals look likeminature grape bunches. They're darker and smell stronger than theregular ones.

Most bunnies dont leave much of these lying around so you hardly ever see them (if you're lucky!)

Latest posts

Back